Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Housing (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Permanent outdoor housing (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75063)

GemJam 22-05-2020 09:52 PM

Permanent outdoor housing

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I have a 6 year old Hermanns who I've had since a baby. I've always kept her inside during the colder months and hibernated in a fridge, but she is outside (day and night) when it is lovely and warm. The outside enclosure is 9ft square with access to a portion of my greenhouse, with a thermostat and heat lamp.

This year I would like to keep her outside 365 days 24/7. What are your top tips to make this transition (for me and my tort, Hettie)?

I have a deep container that I was thinking I could fill with soil and set my thermostat to a lower temp for hibernation. Would this be sufficient? What temp should I set the lamp to? Is there a better alternative than this solution?

What is best for the colder months when she is still awake?

Thanks, Gemma

sandy 23-05-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GemJam (Post 678813)

I have a 6 year old Hermanns who I've had since a baby. I've always kept her inside during the colder months and hibernated in a fridge, but she is outside (day and night) when it is lovely and warm. The outside enclosure is 9ft square with access to a portion of my greenhouse, with a thermostat and heat lamp.

This year I would like to keep her outside 365 days 24/7. What are your top tips to make this transition (for me and my tort, Hettie)?

I have a deep container that I was thinking I could fill with soil and set my thermostat to a lower temp for hibernation. Would this be sufficient? What temp should I set the lamp to? Is there a better alternative than this solution?

Thanks, Gemma

If you have heat in the GH, and soil, you can let her dig naturally into the soil for hibernation. As long as there is heat if temps drop below 5c. I have been hibernating my ibera this way for over 25ys and its far better for them:0)
If you were really worried, you could dig out soil put in a large tub, fill it with soil and let him/her bury down into it:0) Temperatures usually stay stable under ground, rather than above:0)

CherryBrandy 28-05-2020 11:23 AM

Hi Gemma, how lovely to hear from you. Yes try not to overthink it as it can be a bit worrysome. My little Horsfield creep hibernate naturally in the GH without any heat at all. I keep an eye on temps but generally as Sandy says if dug down the earth is warmer. Its the wet that kills not generally the cold (subject to fortitude temps ). They all come out at same time in springtime, and not had heat in the GH for 25years. they have never been under lamps either as we didn't have so much knowledge back then. It gets to 52 in summer also... sometimes with a little help and monitoring you have to trust they do the right thing. with a watchful eye...

Alan1 03-06-2020 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GemJam (Post 678813)

Thanks, Gemma

The tub of soil in the greenhouse is what I use. I surround it with insulation after they have gone down. I have better pictures somewhere other than what's in this thread but it still shows the tub of topsoil and some of the insulation if you click on the links to the images http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=74734 I will have a look for other photos

Alan1 03-06-2020 01:27 PM

I also wrap around a couple of those foam exercise/yoga mats first then a hot water tank jacket. Then the insulation blocks that you can see in one of those images and duvets over the top. I have a wireless temperature+humidity measurer dangling from the inside of the lid of the tub with the readings displayed on the device in my house.