Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   is romaine lettuce bad for my tortoise (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=47880)

BirdieF18 24-01-2012 11:04 PM

is romaine lettuce bad for my tortoise

Hi i have a new hors field tortoise i have heard everywhere that iceberg lettuce is bad for your tortoise. I have deliberately avoided it but i am just wandering can i feed my tortoise romaine lettuce. I have made up a table for what my tortoise eats. It is a different fruit and different plant and vegetable everyday. I also add calcium powder on my tortoises food. can someone please tell me if i am doing anything wrong.

Easter Bunny 24-01-2012 11:12 PM

Romaine is ok to feed in moderation.

This site is brilliant for looking up what you can and can't feed.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...=main&catID=85

TillyTortoise 24-01-2012 11:46 PM

Romaine is fine to feed in Moderation as part of a varied diet.

yuna1971 25-01-2012 12:32 AM

In terms of lettuces..romaine actually is one of the best.
It contains Vit A which isn't too shabby and during winter feeding, it's a good mixer.
I wouldn't go including it so much once edible weeds start coming on, but it's a pretty good one (for winter months).
Dont overdo though, try and get some fibre into the diet - such as the pre alpen cobs if you start finding the poo a little on the runny side.
Read up on the cobs - lots of owners use them as a supplement for fibre purposes during winter. Jonesy - a member on here sells them. xx:)

BirdieF18 25-01-2012 12:53 AM

Thanks everyone you were a great help

Catwoman63 26-01-2012 11:05 PM

My horsefields love romaine lettuce, i always break a leaf up and mix it in with whatever food i give them, whether with weeds or mixed salad they can eat, they seem healthy enough x

Alan1 27-01-2012 06:11 AM

Tesco are selling bagged salad at the moment called something like Long Lasting Leaf or similar and it contains a lot of Radicchio (Italian Chicory) which torts love and has a bit more to it than ordinary lettuce but the down side is like many things you shouldn't feed it too often. Handy if you have more than one tort though, £1.40. There is iceberg lettuce in the bag which you should just hoy out. Better still if you can get a whole radicchio cheap but I have never seen them for sale, same colour as red cabbage

shellonia 27-01-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caledonia (Post 522281)
Tesco are selling bagged salad at the moment called something like Long Lasting Leaf or similar and it contains a lot of Radicchio (Italian Chicory) which torts love and has a bit more to it than ordinary lettuce but the down side is like many things you shouldn't feed it too often. Handy if you have more than one tort though, £1.40. There is iceberg lettuce in the bag which you should just hoy out. Better still if you can get a whole radicchio cheap but I have never seen them for sale, same colour as red cabbage

Yes then there's Florette crispy which is Endive and raddichio, both quite good in terms of winter food. I'm lucky to have a really old-fashioned Greengrocer who does sell whole raddichio.

emma_mcraf 27-01-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caledonia (Post 522281)

I get individual raddichio's delivered in my fruit and veg box from a local company, 'Cossey Produce'. The torts love it and I probably use it about twice a week to bulk out their weeds through the winter. I alternate between this and romaine in the box each fortnight.
They also sell lollo rosso, which I think is also suitable in moderation.