Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sad News (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73295)

Horace2 10-08-2015 12:55 PM

Sad News

Horace escaped from his outside hide Friday afternoon. I have looked everywhere no sign of him. Horace just loved to try to escape so now he has his wish.
I have had Horace 6 years he is now 7 years old. His shell is lovely, such a big boy and so lovely. He used to let me stroke his chin and head, new when I was about to feed him.
I have looked into the last two gardens, he could not get out not even Horace to the gardens to the right of me. Those gardens I looked in, where in such a very bad state, how people can live like that I don't know.
The gate to the last garden was broken and off on the ground. So Horace could have just walked out and god knows where.
I even went into the cow field behind my garden, no sigh. I have now given up, I am not well, I have hurt myself looking for Horace. I have told loads of people who have said they will keep an eye out.
Horace as never been out more then 3 times on his own in the night. The temps have not been bad night times, 15c since Friday night but there as been light rain, its damp and knowing Horace he will be in a bush or something. Never seen him digging at all just mad to get out.
I have now given up, I love him but I can't find him.
I am not getting another Tort. Far to much hard work, when they are young, trying to get there shell right, and all the other stuff I enjoyed with Horace.
I just hope Horace dies soon and Quick. I hope he does not suffer pain. I can't see him living long term outside

Pussygalore 10-08-2015 01:13 PM

what species is Horace and you'd be surprised how able they are at living outside, is he microchipped? its worth visiting vets in the area and the local police, even get in touch with your paper, put up notices etc and hope that he is found. I'm sure he'll be ok at least untill it gets cold when he'll probably find somewhere to hibernate but I doubt he'll die. Make it known locally though that he's missing even offer a reward if you can afford it as someone might think they'll keep him themselves, don't be to downhearted though as if you keep looking I'm sure he'll be found. I don't know what your weather is like but you'll have better odds if you look when its nice and sunny, he'll be awake and out then.

Horace2 10-08-2015 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pussygalore (Post 656828)
what species is Horace and you'd be surprised how able they are at living outside, is he microchipped? its worth visiting vets in the area and the local police, even get in touch with your paper, put up notices etc and hope that he is found. I'm sure he'll be ok at least untill it gets cold when he'll probably find somewhere to hibernate but I doubt he'll die. Make it known locally though that he's missing even offer a reward if you can afford it as someone might think they'll keep him themselves, don't be to downhearted though as if you keep looking I'm sure he'll be found. I don't know what your weather is like but you'll have better odds if you look when its nice and sunny, he'll be awake and out then.

Horace is a Horsefield and not micrchipped

Gordon 10-08-2015 01:58 PM

I'm sure he will be fine and more than likely is still in your garden. Horsfields will dig down when it's hot the same as when it's cold so have a real good look in any long grass or flowerbeds for the slightest bit of disturbance.

Horace2 10-08-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 656830)
I'm sure he will be fine and more than likely is still in your garden. Horsfields will dig down when it's hot the same as when it's cold so have a real good look in any long grass or flowerbeds for the slightest bit of disturbance.

That's very nice of you to say, BUT Horace is not in my garden. The 6 years I had him, never saw him dig. My Garden is not that big, I have looked everywhere. Last time Horace tryed to escape I caught him under the wire fence in next doors garden.
Anyway Thank you for being kind.

emma_mcraf 10-08-2015 02:36 PM

Didn't Horace escape once before into the cow field? Don't give up hope yet - he may well surprise you by showing up. I hope he does.

CherryBrandy 10-08-2015 02:59 PM

I hope Horace does come back. Horsfields are pretty tough little things too. Someone up the road lost theirs and a year later after some snow some one found him dug down 5 miles further up. Don't give up hope. Registered the loss at the vets definitely.

Horace2 10-08-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma_mcraf (Post 656832)
Didn't Horace escape once before into the cow field? Don't give up hope yet - he may well surprise you by showing up. I hope he does.

He has escaped many times into the next doors gardens not the cow field. I just can't find him. I have tryed. I am so upset he was a lovely guy and my Dad who died in 2013 bought him for me. Sorry
I thought i had made is hide escape proof. I was wrong so my fault. I can't do anymore. I have phoned the Vet and they have put his name in the book for lost pets.

Horace2 10-08-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 656833)
I hope Horace does come back. Horsfields are pretty tough little things too. Someone up the road lost theirs and a year later after some snow some one found him dug down 5 miles further up. Don't give up hope. Registered the loss at the vets definitely.

Wow, Thank You

yuna1971 10-08-2015 04:00 PM

Chris, don't give up hope. He may not be too far away. You've done all you can in terms of looking, but like people have said - he may not have gone far. And your neighbours and people close by know you're looking for him so they'll keep their eyes peeled.
Wendy (Pagan Queen) can tell you that they can find their way back, even after all hope is lost. I'm hoping she'll post here and tell you about Herbie. It can happen.
I truly hope Horace, your 'little sod' comes back to you. Please don't give up. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you & your Horace xx:)