Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Where to Buy and Bargains (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Topsoil (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73890)

Reece 08-04-2016 11:15 PM

Topsoil

Evening,

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of sterlised topsoil? i have recently bought bags from wickes, homebase aswell as b&q. All three are poor. I have found myself spending ages seiving the flipping rubble out.. Can anyone point me to the right direction on a stone free? :?:

Ceirdwyn 11-04-2016 09:29 AM

I got a bag from aldi, and it was great, no gravel. But that was a week or so ago, so they might not have it anymore.
If you have one local, it might be worth checking.

Gordon 11-04-2016 12:47 PM

Stones and gravel are no problem they won't walk on scived soul in the wild.

emma_mcraf 11-04-2016 12:53 PM

I have always stuck to Wickes. Yes, there are some little stones but as Gordon says, they don't cause any problems.
I tried Homebase but wasn't impressed so have just always kept with the Wickes sterilised topsoil.

Jan W 11-04-2016 03:48 PM

I buy John Innes from the garden centre.

Reece 11-04-2016 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceirdwyn (Post 664130)
I got a bag from aldi, and it was great, no gravel. But that was a week or so ago, so they might not have it anymore.
If you have one local, it might be worth checking.

Thank you i will have alook into my local aldi tonight.

I experienced a horrible encounter awhile back with my leopard tortoise.. I'm just paranoid now if the stones will cause more injuries. Thanks all for replies highly appreciated!

Reece 11-04-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan W (Post 664138)
I buy John Innes from the garden centre.

Is John Innes safe for the little fellas?

CherryBrandy 12-04-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 664140)

I find it does depend on size of tortoise, age etc. My older ones wouldn't eat soil or if they did it would be negligible out in the garden. personally I wouldn't put john innes into a tortoise table with little ones cause they burrow and eat weeds with it on. Pure is best - like coco coir for that or natural sterilised. Easiest for me is coco coir and its manageable but equally I wouldn't buy loads for outside torts - normal soil is ok for that in MO. CB

Jan W 12-04-2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 664140)

Perhaps I should have said I do bake it first! Mainly because it is damp so I put it in the range to dry it out. It has never grown weeds or anything and I would imagine I am killing off micro-organisms.

Keep in mind my torts were 2 when they came.

I have introduced coir too, so trying that.

Reece 12-04-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 664152)
I find it does depend on size of tortoise, age etc. My older ones wouldn't eat soil or if they did it would be negligible out in the garden. personally I wouldn't put john innes into a tortoise table with little ones cause they burrow and eat weeds with it on. Pure is best - like coco coir for that or natural sterilised. Easiest for me is coco coir and its manageable but equally I wouldn't buy loads for outside torts - normal soil is ok for that in MO. CB

I take that into consideration thanks. He's only coming up to two years old. I have actually got the coir down at the moment, but just trying to keep it more soil more then anything.