Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Non Med Species - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Red foots and cherryheads (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43821)

Alistair&Robyn 27-06-2011 02:33 PM

Red foots and cherryheads

I'm looking to get a male red foot to keep my 6 ladies company, with a view to breed them in a few years time.

Is it possible to breed the 'normal' red foot with a cherryhead? I know I should probably know this, but, well.. I don't! :oops:

jonesy 27-06-2011 02:47 PM

NO I would not recommend this at all.
Either stick with the Redfoot or the Cherryhead.

Alistair&Robyn 27-06-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesy (Post 474996)
NO I would not recommend this at all.
Either stick with the Redfoot or the Cherryhead.

I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

NATURALIS 27-06-2011 08:20 PM

someone will come along and say there the same species ( which they are ) but why not breed cherrys with cherrys and red with red

EJ 27-06-2011 08:21 PM

Your problem is going to be finding the same Redfoot type that you have. Redfoots are like Leopards and Greeks in that the genus is so wide spread and there are so many populations that mix in the wild there really is no way to know you are getting the same animal unless you got them all from one shipment. Even then you can't be sure. Cherry heads are a trade name. They are all still Geochelone carbonaria as far as I know. If you can find one that is similar to the ones you already have... all the better but the've been bred long enough in the UK for you to be pretty sure that they are pretty much mixed up as it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alistair&Robyn (Post 474987)
I'm looking to get a male red foot to keep my 6 ladies company, with a view to breed them in a few years time.

Is it possible to breed the 'normal' red foot with a cherryhead? I know I should probably know this, but, well.. I don't! :oops:

Alistair&Robyn 28-06-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ (Post 475066)
Your problem is going to be finding the same Redfoot type that you have. Redfoots are like Leopards and Greeks in that the genus is so wide spread and there are so many populations that mix in the wild there really is no way to know you are getting the same animal unless you got them all from one shipment. Even then you can't be sure. Cherry heads are a trade name. They are all still Geochelone carbonaria as far as I know. If you can find one that is similar to the ones you already have... all the better but the've been bred long enough in the UK for you to be pretty sure that they are pretty much mixed up as it is.

This might sound bad, but a lot of red foots just look the same to me. There are some that are obviously quite different, but the majority of the time I can't tell.

I already have 6 ladies, 5 of which appear to be the same genus (but I could well be wrong) The other looks quite different (lighter brown scutes) but she's so tiny and not well I won't breed her. To be honest, I don't think she'll ever be big enough anyway.

What's the best way to tell the difference between the different types?

THEHANDOFOMEGA 28-06-2011 10:15 AM

They will certainly all be the same Genus. You will find variation between populations. However I mix my red and cherry in together and they are fine. There is not enough genetic difference to stop them from mating. It is just variation in the population

EJ 28-06-2011 10:47 AM

They are all the same species. As with any isolated population you are going to find caracter traits that are similar within the population.

Now... the question I ask taxonomists is that how long does a distinc population have to be isolated in order to be considered a species... I never get an answer but I'm guessing it is not that simple.

If you add similar tortoises to your group... you're good to go. The plastron is the biggest clue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alistair&Robyn (Post 475199)
This might sound bad, but a lot of red foots just look the same to me. There are some that are obviously quite different, but the majority of the time I can't tell.

I already have 6 ladies, 5 of which appear to be the same genus (but I could well be wrong) The other looks quite different (lighter brown scutes) but she's so tiny and not well I won't breed her. To be honest, I don't think she'll ever be big enough anyway.

What's the best way to tell the difference between the different types?

Alistair&Robyn 28-06-2011 10:58 AM

I don't think I'd find a red foot too dissimilar from my others, so that shouldn't be a concern.

As for breeding red foots with cherryheads.... I'm still not sure then!

EJ 28-06-2011 11:05 AM

What I do when I'm not sure... I don't do it.

I don't have a problem with mixing species so I really don't have a problem with mixing races.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alistair&Robyn (Post 475233)
I don't think I'd find a red foot too dissimilar from my others, so that shouldn't be a concern.

As for breeding red foots with cherryheads.... I'm still not sure then!