Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Eating bird poop???? (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43222)

Rowan 30-05-2011 02:39 PM

Eating bird poop????

Hi,

I've has mt 2 out today and 1 of them is obsessed with eating bird poop!!!!!

At first I thought it was just the white bird poop he was interested in but it's any colour, black, green, brown any that he sniffs out!!!!!

Obviously I can't remove all the bird poop from their outdoor enclosure (I've spot cleaned as best I can ) but it is going to do him any harm????

Secondly why is he sooooo intent on eating it?

Thanks,

Row xx

kkenny 30-05-2011 02:46 PM

oh no, dont fancy that idea. I have to agree - why would they want to.

No advice on this sorry but great threat!

16 shells 30-05-2011 02:48 PM

Not sure Rowan based on reading's, protein maybe, other than that i think Bird dropping's contain a certain amount of waste calcium, the little white bit you see on it sometimes. Like urates expelled.

Rowan 30-05-2011 02:59 PM

i did wonder whether it was for calcium....

Will it do him harm?

Row xx

Bindi 30-05-2011 03:01 PM

They just like re-cycling stuff, their faves being poo. I've caught one of mine having a breakfast of cat-plop on more than one occaision.

Although you can't remove all of it from their enclosures and not stop it completely, any poo can be a source of worms or parasites which is why it's important to either get them tested once or twice a year or keep a very close eye on their behaviour/ own faeces

Eremiel 30-05-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindi (Post 468103)
They just like re-cycling stuff, their faves being poo. I've caught one of mine having a breakfast of cat-plop on more than one occaision.

Cat poo has some really really bad things in it you dont want them eatting that...?

Rowan 31-05-2011 05:23 PM

thank you for the info everyone!!!!

Bindi 31-05-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eremiel (Post 468104)
Cat poo has some really really bad things in it you dont want them eatting that...?

Umm I don't sit and watch them do it, it gets removed when I see it ;-)

yuna1971 31-05-2011 06:42 PM

They seem to love White....Lily is attracted to White - be it bird poo, crushed oystershell to sit on, white stones, manky year old off-White cuttlefish...
Chewing gum (caught him in mid bite last year)...old White drawers, socks
((I'm joking...));)xx

...he doesn't like the taste of socks.:Dxx

ClareandCo 31-05-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindi (Post 468386)
Umm I don't sit and watch them do it, it gets removed when I see it ;-)

!

Nothing like a big dollop of African Grey poop first thing in the morning......