Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Slowwwing Dowwwnnn (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74987)

Alan1 05-09-2019 10:09 AM

Slowwwing Dowwwnnn

My pair are slowing down, burying deeper each night but coming out every morning to charge about and eat then a couple of hours later they are back into the tub of soil to sit for the rest of the day. Different behaviour slightly to recent years but I wonder if it's anything to do with being such a crap summer. Usually they're not eating by this point.

Alan1 05-09-2019 09:20 PM

Well they didn't eat today despite being warm in there so maybe they're not far off going down now

burnt toast 05-09-2019 09:50 PM

I've found loads of food lately Alan but noticed this week that there always seems some left over. Today I scattered food all around their areas before work. Came back lunch time, uneaten. Only one tort had left their greenhouse. It was sunny too! But the nights have been cool. Just checked forecast & we're due 7-9 over next few nights. I think it's cool night temps that signals hibernation

mattjstar1 05-09-2019 10:18 PM

My lot are slowing down too late mornings and early evenings still eating x

Alan1 05-09-2019 10:23 PM

Aye it's been 7c at nights here for almost a week apart from one night that was 13c :shock:
Warm in the sun and warmer still in the greenhouse but if the sun goes away and they are outside it's too cold and they just head for their hides

CherryBrandy 10-09-2019 08:26 PM

You are afterall in near Viking territory Alan. I thought it had been a fantastic summer -(withstanding a bit of a sad time) heat and sun wise ... just goes to show. apparently back up to 25'c at weekend just after mine are burying, CB

Alan1 11-09-2019 07:06 PM

One of mine has buried down and not appeared out today, this is about their time now even though it's been a warmer day today

sandy 11-09-2019 09:05 PM

Mine have been slowly winding down since late August, they are not coming out of the GH, unless its sunny. That is for a quick graze and back in again.
We have had such a hot Summer compared to other years, they have gotten used to higher temps. So they slow down with the much cooler in comparison.
But if this year is like the last few, we could easily have higher temps for a week or two, just to interrupt their windowns:0)

Yvonne G 12-09-2019 03:39 PM

Here in Central California all my tortoises are still eating. Usually by this time of year the Russians have dug in and I don't see them anymore, but they're still out and eating too.

CherryBrandy 22-09-2019 09:51 AM

it just goes to show the little Horsfields are a bit of barometer for climate change , California, England and Scotland too I suspect. I wonder how they survive harsh winters where they are from.

Pouring today and weather warning - is that summer over do we think ? I blame it on Strictly. CB

emma_mcraf 22-09-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 677673)
it just goes to show the little Horsfields are a bit of barometer for climate change , California, England and Scotland too I suspect. I wonder how they survive harsh winters where they are from.

Pouring today and weather warning - is that summer over do we think ? I blame it on Strictly. CB

We had a little burst last week and I think that’s it now. Time to start the hibernation process...for me. :-)

CherryBrandy 22-09-2019 10:25 AM

me too Emma - researching the box sets ready....into 2nd series of Suits....mmm CB

emma_mcraf 22-09-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 677682)
me too Emma - researching the box sets ready....into 2nd series of Suits....mmm CB

Not tried that one. Any good?
We’ve done both series of Medici this year and finished Breaking Bad and watching Riviera.
Can you believe the next series of Vikings will be the last? Thought I’d better mention it just for G to roll his eyes at us. :lol: ;-)

CherryBrandy 26-09-2019 05:43 PM

I didn't know that I am on Series 5 vol 1 - is there a vol2 and last series a 6? its very interesting to think its based on real characters. Gordon is almost a clansman after going through what he has gone through.
As shield maidens I vote him in.
I will try those others, apparently stranger things and lone Survivor (kiefer hit) are v good. Peaky blinders at the moment. I need to hibernate if weather worsens....CB

emma_mcraf 26-09-2019 09:12 PM

Yes, series 5 has a volume 2 and season 6 will also be 20 episodes, split into two volumes of ten episodes again.
Michael Hirst is planning on writing something new for Vikings fans. He’s all finished with season 6, the filming is all done and I think it could be airing late this year on History.
He says his new show won’t be a sequel but will something Vikings fans will relate to, so possibly he’s going to focus on some other characters?

I watched the first series of Stranger Things as my daughter raves about it. It was okay, very cleverly done like a retro 80’s style drama. I didn’t watch season 2 or 3 though. I’ve returned to ER! Loving it 24 years on. My 45 minute guilty pleasure to wind down. :-)

My two eldest sons are into Peaky Blinders but I’m not sure it’s my thing. I know Vikings is full of battles and the odd blood eagle but gang violence isn’t my thing.

My hibernation has started! The hot water bottle was out last night, throws were out through much of the summer anyway, ha, but I’m doing the full window-gazing with a hot cuppa and mak8ng casseroles and snuggling up with the waggies. Love the mists, the drizzle and the earlier sunsets. Perfect time of year.

CherryBrandy 14-10-2019 08:13 PM

what flipping dreadful weather. is it my imagination or has it rained a whole Ark period. CB

emma_mcraf 14-10-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 677738)
what flipping dreadful weather. is it my imagination or has it rained a whole Ark period. CB

Plenty of the wet stuff! Must mean we’re in for a crisp and frosty festive period. :-)

tortydat 14-10-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 677738)

Don't think it's your imagination Clare my torts have now grown flippers!

Alan1 17-10-2019 10:43 AM

We've not had a right lot of rain here, one really wet day in recent weeks and a mix of sunny days and showers. My pair are both hibernating now

tortydat 17-10-2019 11:18 AM

Some of mine are going into hibernation next week a bit early but they are so miserable I can't bear to see them looking so fed up.

Alan1 18-10-2019 06:57 PM

One of mine dug down on 10th Sept and the other on 3rd Oct. I spoke too soon about the rain, heavy rain all day here today :roll:

emma_mcraf 18-10-2019 08:43 PM

It’s been torrential here today. Stopped the little sods up the road from going on the trampoline though. Always a silver lining. :lol:

Alan1 19-10-2019 10:40 AM

I really wish I hadn't mentioned rain, it has never stopped and there's flooding now :)

TessaRuth 07-11-2019 07:26 PM

Speeding up!

Gosh! I'm having exactly the opposite experience and am wondering if it's normal. I'd really appreciate your opinions.

I live in Southern England and we got our 13 year old tortoise last year. He then seemed to know when it was time to start the hibernation process, eating next to nothing and becoming most lethargic. He started hibernating on 10th November. This year, he is still running around and eating probably more than he ever has. He is showing no signs at all of slowing down. Is this normal? Should I try to make him hibernate by reducing the temperature of the room he's in and stopping feeding him? His previous owner said that he didn't hibernate some years but I don't know if that's right either. He seems really happy but I don't know whether not hibernating will harm him. I'd really appreciate your experience on this (as I have in the past). Thank you.

CherryBrandy 07-11-2019 08:49 PM

Torrential, flipping cold, murky grey and depressing and that's just brexit talk. Weather is typical.

Tessaruth I think you need to decide whether you will overwinter (keep up )or hibernate. If hibernating then slow down, reduce food, reduce lights (enough to purge food)and pack away at 5/6/ or 8 degrees.

If overwintering them resume as normal but usually nature takes a hand and everything slows down a beat anyway so just maintain husbandry and the normal routine. there are no rights or wrongs. A lot of us hibernate (I wish) and our tortoises but equally some overwinter. My preference is hibernate as I believe it recharges batteries, but its one or the other though an intermediary state of existence such as just slow down, less heat, less food , more sleep can be had if you know your tortoises habits, CB

sandy 07-11-2019 09:07 PM

Its been a bright warmish day here:0)
All my tortoises and boxies have buried down in the GHouses:0)

Alan1 08-11-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TessaRuth (Post 677818)
Gosh! I'm having exactly the opposite experience and am wondering if it's normal. I'd really appreciate your opinions.

I live in Southern England and we got our 13 year old tortoise last year. He then seemed to know when it was time to start the hibernation process, eating next to nothing and becoming most lethargic. He started hibernating on 10th November. This year, he is still running around and eating probably more than he ever has. He is showing no signs at all of slowing down. Is this normal? Should I try to make him hibernate by reducing the temperature of the room he's in and stopping feeding him? His previous owner said that he didn't hibernate some years but I don't know if that's right either. He seems really happy but I don't know whether not hibernating will harm him. I'd really appreciate your experience on this (as I have in the past). Thank you.

What breed of tortoise is he? They don't neccessarily hibernate on the same day or same week as the previous year. A lot depends on the temperatures at night and the amount of daylight plus a bit of instinct. Not hibernating won't harm him but what did he hibernate in last year? My ones hibernate themselves in a big tub of soil (in a greenhouse) when they are ready then I surround it with insulation but other people do the fridge method. Some people just keep them going but they are usually less active and eat less

sandy 08-11-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TessaRuth (Post 677818)

I live in the SE, and all of mine are down. They go down on their own once I stop heating the GH, and I stop any feeding. They know the days are shorter and colder anyway. And have been slowing down since middle September. Not eating as much, going to bed earlier. Last year it was later than this. Each year varies:0)

Hibernation is always good for hibernating species, they dont put on extra weight during this time, and better for their hormones:0)

Alan1 16-03-2020 07:13 PM

My pair are up today. One went down on 6th September or thereabouts and the other a couple of weeks later maybe and both up today 16th March

emma_mcraf 16-03-2020 07:15 PM

Great news, Alan. Bet it’s good to see your girls again. x

Alan1 16-03-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma_mcraf (Post 678342)
Great news, Alan. Bet it’s good to see your girls again. x

Yes it's just as if it was the next day :-D. Last year the soil was disturbed and they had moved about despite it being quite cold but this year we've hardly had any bad frosts at all the the soil was undisturbed. The temps inside their tub have been steadily rising for the past few weeks and because of the insulation it's stayed pretty stable once it did get up to the 8c and 9c mark. That is the air just above the soil of course, under the soil will be cooler and more stable

emma_mcraf 16-03-2020 08:34 PM

Sounds like perfect hibernation conditions. They must feel very well-rested!

CherryBrandy 24-03-2020 09:06 PM

don't speak too soon - apparently snow at the weekend. I packed away all the TT and converted them into plant / seed areas now have to adapt them back again ! CB

Alan1 31-03-2020 03:54 PM

We had a little bit of snow here but as the torts are in the greenhouse it heats up quickly when the sun is out and they still go back into the insulated tub of soil at nights. It's not insulated to the extent that it was through the winter now

sandy 31-03-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan1 (Post 678456)
We had a little bit of snow here but as the torts are in the greenhouse it heats up quickly when the sun is out and they still go back into the insulated tub of soil at nights. It's not insulated to the extent that it was through the winter now

We had several flurries of snow on Sunday, thankfully not enough to lay, but it was bitter cold:0(

emma_mcraf 31-03-2020 10:11 PM

No snow here but the wind was cutting over the weekend - so very cold. My lot haven’t been outside yet. We shall see what April brings...

tortydat 01-04-2020 05:04 PM

Less wind today but tortoises still inside.

emma_mcraf 01-04-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortydat (Post 678463)
Less wind today but tortoises still inside.

Same here, Mary.

sandy 01-04-2020 08:43 PM

I moved the brick covering the hole for mine to come out, and my male came charging out. The females still under the lights:0)