Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Evolving Husbandry (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Tortoise friendly weed killer (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74955)

Horacio 25-04-2019 07:58 PM

Tortoise friendly weed killer

Hi, anyone got some good advice on what to use on my lawn to try and get rid of the weeds? I don't want poor Horacio to be gobbling up anything that's going to harm him.

ClareandCo 26-04-2019 07:44 AM

Removing them individually with a small hand trowel is probably the only 100% safe method.

Get them out with their roots and set up a weed patch for him!

tortydat 26-04-2019 09:54 AM

Personally I would live with the weeds and if Horatio goes on the lawn he will probably enjoy them! I wouldn't trust any weedkiller.

sandy 26-04-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortydat (Post 676906)
Personally I would live with the weeds and if Horatio goes on the lawn he will probably enjoy them! I wouldn't trust any weedkiller.

I agree with Mary, I have never used any chemicals in my back garden. To dangerous for the torts. Mine eat most and leave others, and I dig them up:0)

Gordon 26-04-2019 12:34 PM

Leave well alone he will know what's good and what's not.:)

emma_mcraf 26-04-2019 02:47 PM

I dig up any ragwort or groundsel but leave the rest.
Like Clare suggests, I have a dedicated weed patch so when an edible weed pops up somewhere like in a hanging basket I just transfer to the weed patch. :-)

Yvonne G 26-04-2019 05:02 PM

Like others have already said, my tortoises eat the weeds. But in some areas where I don't want vegetation to grow I use this recipe:

1 gallon white vinegar
1 cup salt
1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
Combine ingredients in a spray bottle and treat weeds at the sunniest time of day for best results.

It may have to be repeated a couple times to really get rid of persistent weeds, but it does work (eventually).

emma_mcraf 26-04-2019 05:35 PM

That’s interesting Yvonne. Sounds like it works well for you. I tried salt on some nettles I was fed up of stinging myself on but they kept returning. I think I’ll try your recipe. :-)

Alan1 27-04-2019 10:03 AM

A kettle of hot water directly onto the weeds would be safe to try. I wouldn't be leaving the weeds on my lawn, before long you will have no lawn and an area of weeds where your lawn used to be :mrgreen:

emma_mcraf 27-04-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan1 (Post 676913)
A kettle of hot water directly onto the weeds would be safe to try. I wouldn't be leaving the weeds on my lawn, before long you will have no lawn and an area of weeds where your lawn used to be :mrgreen:

Tried that and had a lovely brown patch all summer where the hot water burnt the grass! :lol:
I stick to digging them out now.
Hubby usually does a feed and weed type thing in the winter that’s dog-friendly and then in the spring up come the Cat’s Ear and Dandies without fail. The main issue we have is with too much moss.