Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Growing weeds in tort table (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72548)

veggie86 17-12-2014 09:04 AM

Growing weeds in tort table

Yesterday I decided it would be a good idea to plant weed seeds in Pickles table, straight into the top soil. In my imagination there will be a forest of weeds for him to munch on when he comes out of hibernation :D They probably won't grow quite as much as that...but It would be nice if something grew big enough to eat. I'll use the uv tube when they start to show.

Alan1 17-12-2014 09:39 AM

Don't build your hopes up too high :)
They tend to grow fast and straggly then just collapse. A lot of weeds need frost or cold weather to break down their outer shell before they will sprout as well. There are some plants that will grow in a table like the succulents

Gordon 17-12-2014 10:58 AM

You might be better to plant them in seed trays outside and let them grow naturally then bring them in when pickles is ready to get up,as Alan says lots of seeds need the cold to germinate :idea::idea::-)

sandy 17-12-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TURNIP (Post 648695)
You might be better to plant them in seed trays outside and let them grow naturally then bring them in when pickles is ready to get up,as Alan says lots of seeds need the cold to germinate :idea::idea::-)

I agree totally here, much better to grow plants and weeds outside. Even in the Winter when you think they wont grow, but do:0)

Merlin M 17-12-2014 05:20 PM

It is surprisingly hard to grow weeds indoors

becciwales 17-12-2014 08:45 PM

It's surprisingly hard for me to grow weeds full stop!! :lol::lol:

veggie86 17-12-2014 09:49 PM

Haha Becci I have the same problem! I chucked a pack of the mixed weed seeds on the back of the garden earlier in the year, and I can't see anything growing which wasn't there already. I do have some growing in seed trays outside, a few types started to sprout but only one type seems to be still growing, and very slowly. The amount in three big seed trays at the moment would be gone in a couple of days between the girls. I'm hoping the stuff I threw outside will all magically appear in the spring :)

I really wish I'd dug up some of the good weeds and potted them so I could keep them going :/ Running out of the good ones now, it all seems to be buttercups and daisies where the good stuff used to be.

becciwales 18-12-2014 03:22 AM

The only success I had with growing, half turned out to be toxic, I buy the individual bags off here now and mix my own. I am not green fingered at all! :roll:

Gordon 18-12-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becciwales (Post 648701)
It's surprisingly hard for me to grow weeds full stop!! :lol::lol:

That's because your a woman :lol::lol:

sandy 18-12-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veggie86 (Post 648702)
Haha Becci I have the same problem! I chucked a pack of the mixed weed seeds on the back of the garden earlier in the year, and I can't see anything growing which wasn't there already. I do have some growing in seed trays outside, a few types started to sprout but only one type seems to be still growing, and very slowly. The amount in three big seed trays at the moment would be gone in a couple of days between the girls. I'm hoping the stuff I threw outside will all magically appear in the spring :)

I really wish I'd dug up some of the good weeds and potted them so I could keep them going :/ Running out of the good ones now, it all seems to be buttercups and daisies where the good stuff used to be.

Some weeds if not all need a really cold spell to help them germinate.
Hence I always sow seeds in the Autumn, then I have weeds coming up through out the next year:0)