Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Non Med Species - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Star Homegrown Food - (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43209)

Gemstone-Dragons 29-05-2011 05:44 PM

Star Homegrown Food -

I have just gotten some planters and planned on setting some up with seeds and some with plants for my Star.

What would you say the top 5 varieties of plant I could grow for him as his base diet would be and why?

Looking forwards to everyone's opinions and deciding what to grow for him :)

Torterra 29-05-2011 06:08 PM

I'd say
1. Thistles, they love that plant and it is good for them.
2. Plaintains, broad leaf and slender Plaintain.
3. Clover, young leaves/ shoots are good and they love them.
4. Vetch, the one with bigger broader leaves, it is relished by mine.
5. Flowers: Pansys, Petunias, they easy to grow and good to have theie leaves as supplement.

Gemstone-Dragons 29-05-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torterra (Post 467927)
I'd say
1. Thistles, they love that plant and it is good for them.
2. Plaintains, broad leaf and slender Plaintain.
3. Clover, young leaves/ shoots are good and they love them.
4. Vetch, the one with bigger broader leaves, it is relished by mine.
5. Flowers: Pansys, Petunias, they easy to grow and good to have theie leaves as supplement.

Thankyou :)

I've researched but the list of goodies is so long and each as part of a varied diet so I wanted a selection from them that would be nicely balanced :)

I've just planted spider plants in his table too - Spoilt brat ;)

littlestar 29-05-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemstone-Dragons (Post 467957)
Thankyou :)

I've researched but the list of goodies is so long and each as part of a varied diet so I wanted a selection from them that would be nicely balanced :)

I've just planted spider plants in his table too - Spoilt brat ;)

id go

plantains
dandy lions
mallows
dead nettle
chickweed

tort two 30-05-2011 10:56 AM

Ooohh guys your making me hungry here!

Gemstone-Dragons 30-05-2011 12:31 PM

Ok another question....considering wild grasses, dandelions and Rose petals are available (amongst other things I need to identify) in the nature reserve next door which of the above would you say grow from seed or from plug/plant?
Also, didn't recognise any of the above from garden centre will a bigger 1 have them?
Seeds will be brought from here for the other planters - now have room for 5 lol

EJ 30-05-2011 06:43 PM

I found the coolest product in the UK for planting tortoise food. It runs about £12. It contained about 25 varieties of weeds. It contained the seed, container and soil in addition to instructions. It's put out by a popular company... but I can't think of the name.

(Still no substitute for a good formulated diet)

Gemstone-Dragons 30-05-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ (Post 468155)
I found the coolest product in the UK for planting tortoise food. It runs about £12. It contained about 25 varieties of weeds. It contained the seed, container and soil in addition to instructions. It's put out by a popular company... but I can't think of the name.

Get thinking then......lol

littlestar 30-05-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ (Post 468155)

yeh ive seen that one they have them in reptile shops its just too small for the weeds your going to need unless your gonna buy of few. you would be better buying off shelled seed shop or their ebay shop.

and as for the "(Still no substitute for a good formulated diet)" "whatever" EJ we know fine well what your on about.

EJ 30-05-2011 09:26 PM

The main point of looking up that kit is that it gives you a really good list of weeds that hopfully somebody researched (so they could continue to sell the product) so the keeper has a known workable list.

As for the rest... the complexity of this demonstration demonstrates the point. Hopefully the keeper is able to figure out what a nutritious plant diet is before they kill or injure the tortoise.

As to the 'whatever'... I don't think I've ever had to fall back on that one for lack of a useful response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlestar (Post 468226)
yeh ive seen that one they have them in reptile shops its just too small for the weeds your going to need unless your gonna buy of few. you would be better buying off shelled seed shop or their ebay shop.

and as for the "(Still no substitute for a good formulated diet)" "whatever" EJ we know fine well what your on about.