Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Housing (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   how to fit a clamp lamp holder (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43530)

mrscross78 13-06-2011 12:25 PM

how to fit a clamp lamp holder

I have just received my new Arcadia reflector clamp lamp holder in the post...
I only have a clamp holder for it and am unsure if it is safe to use on my lamp stand...
Before I had an Exo terra lamp holder and that came with a wire hanger so it was fine but this new holder only has a clamp.
I hope I am making myself clear :???:
Basically how are these clamp holders meant to be attached? There were no instructions :confused:, Is the clamp ok to be attached to a vertical wooden post which is the lamp holder for my tortoise table and then the bulb directed down?
If not then how should I use it?:?
Thanks

shellonia 13-06-2011 01:37 PM

Yes that's the way to do it

Alan1 13-06-2011 01:44 PM

I know what you mean.

the clamp part which looks like the shape of you thumb and forefinger goes round the ceramic part. the springy bit with the rough ball on the end goes between the 2 parts of the clamp where there are flat bits with a hole in. once it is tightened the rough ball part can rotate to where you need it then tighten again.

the hangers are the reason I always buy exo terra glo lights. the bulb has to point as vertical down as possible whatever waye you fix it.

before I had the hanging type my clamp was always going a wee bit slack after continuous heating and cooling every day (expanding with the heat then slackening when cool).

maybe a cable tie round the flex for extra peace of mind might benefit once you get the clamp rigged. if there's any possibilty of using a wire coathanger or even your exo terra ones it would be a bonus

yuna1971 13-06-2011 01:54 PM

IMO...this is the reason I prefer the Deep Dome holders as opposed to the clamp lamp. Very finnicky to put together and yes, no instructions and also a pain in the rear to get them to point vertically downwards. The dome is more expensive but its simply hooked onto the hooky bit of the lampstand, job done. I do have the clamps for my halogen and my ceramic but not much choice there because of the way I have them pointing. :) xx

mrscross78 13-06-2011 02:43 PM

Thanks everyone, i feel a bit thick asking questions like this but to me it just seems a little dangerous using the clamp for a heat lamp as it may loose grip and slip so i wondered if there was a special way to fit it....
The only reason I bought this lamp holder is because after buying the arcadia bulb i realised these bulbs are bigger than I had before and so is too big for the exo terra holder....

yuna1971 13-06-2011 02:55 PM

Amelia, would the retailer allow an exchange for a deep dome (you may still need the lampstand though for this to hang as it should)...
Cable ties may help if you persevere with the clamp , as has been suggested. But I really know what you mean...its almost like you feel it will sort of tilt forward with the weight of the shade + bulb - and it does this if not positioned right, or clamped right.
I dont like them at all have to say...xx:)

mrscross78 13-06-2011 04:06 PM

What a shame i'd not heard of the deep dome holders before....sounds perfect. Unfortunately I bought it off ebay :(
I will just have to try and see if I can get the clamp to work... Sorry Rach but I dont understand how to get cable ties to work, do you mean tie them around to the lamp holder and make it act as a hanger?
Thanks

pixie-egg 13-06-2011 04:16 PM

Just to let you know I use a clamp lamp on a partially opened cupboard door, my tort table is on the kitchen worktop. It's on the bottom edge pointing vertically down, it's never slipped a millimetre. I was worried about the same thing when I got it but it's worked brilliantly.

Concerning the cable ties i'd just put them through the actual clamp for added security.

Alan1 13-06-2011 06:47 PM

what I meant about the cable ties was tie the electric flex from the lamp to the top part of the lamp stand so that if the clamp did slip, the lamp would still be unable to drop to the ground as it would be tied to the lampstand.. if you tie it close to the bit where the clamp will hang

mrscross78 13-06-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caledonia (Post 472000)
what I meant about the cable ties was tie the electric flex from the lamp to the top part of the lamp stand so that if the clamp did slip, the lamp would still be unable to drop to the ground as it would be tied to the lampstand.. if you tie it close to the bit where the clamp will hang

Oh right I get it -
Good idea, thanks very much I'll do that :D