Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Breeding and Incubation (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Who Has Used A Homemade Incubator? (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72734)

burnt toast 16-02-2015 07:28 PM

Who Has Used A Homemade Incubator?

I have a large polystyrene box (which was a chicken incubator in a previous life, so has two Perspex viewing panels :) It also has a few small air holes.

I am thinking of adding a heat mat on a pulse thermostat after the discussions on modern incubators with a fan drying out the eggs.

My question is: is it critical to lift the lid daily? (I seem to remember hearing this in the past) No one lifts the lid in the wild do they?

wigwamman 16-02-2015 08:26 PM

i have a diy incubator made from a polystyrene box (used to transport tropical fish),a large heat mat in the bottom with a couple of house bricks on top ,this creates a thermal store,i open it briefly to check the eggs and the water tub.it works great and the only cost was the mat + stat.

egyptiandan64 16-02-2015 10:36 PM

No you don't have to lift the lid every day :D

Danny

sandy 17-02-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnt toast (Post 650572)
I have a large polystyrene box (which was a chicken incubator in a previous life, so has two Perspex viewing panels :) It also has a few small air holes.

I am thinking of adding a heat mat on a pulse thermostat after the discussions on modern incubators with a fan drying out the eggs.

My question is: is it critical to lift the lid daily? (I seem to remember hearing this in the past) No one lifts the lid in the wild do they?

I have only ever used a homemade incubator:0)
I used it for tortoises for over 20yrs, and now use it for incubating box turtle eggs. Both completely different incubation Technics:0)
I have a couple of smallish holes in the lid of the incubator, this way I dont have to lift the lid every day.

burnt toast 17-02-2015 05:15 PM

Thanks folks :)

suttysue 19-02-2015 09:09 AM

I have bought an incubator and now having read this I know why some the yolks etc where dry. Any thoughts on how to stop this? Maybe disable the fan ?
Thanks
Sue

Gordon 19-02-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suttysue (Post 650623)
I have bought an incubator and now having read this I know why some the yolks etc where dry. Any thoughts on how to stop this? Maybe disable the fan ?
Thanks
Sue

What type is it:smile:

burnt toast 19-02-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Sue

Sue I hope I didnt mislead you there. Do you mean infertile eggs after they have been incubated for a while? Because like normal eggs they do dry and almost cook slightly because of the heat. It was a strong fan drying out the air then the eggs I was refering to.

Hanako 23-02-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Sue

I am not an expert on incubating tortoises, but one way for to make sure the fan is not blowing on the eggs and drying them out would be to cover the bowl containing the eggs.