Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Feedback/Suggestions/Problems (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Welcoming new keepers (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74316)

Ozric Jonathan 10-01-2017 12:33 PM

Welcoming new keepers

Hi all

we get new people signing up for the forum every day but very often we never hear from them. Or they post a couple of times then nothing.

Some folk are just looking for a bit of info or perhaps are just a bit interested in getting a tortoise and then decide against or whatever.

But surely a lot of them are really quite interested but for whatever reason don't get involved in the forum.

We can all see who the newest member is. I might try sending a welcome PM just saying hello and maybe include a couple of bits of info. I know the person won't be able to reply to a PM but if they get one they might think 'oh someone has noticed me and made an effort so perhaps this bunch are friendly'.

What does anyone else think? Maybe it can't do any harm? Or would I seem to be putting myself into some kind of position which in fact I'm not, such as some kind of official SW person?

JerryMaffz 10-01-2017 01:55 PM

Can't do any harm, Jonathan..I guess many new members are looking for information which they can access without interacting.
However, by getting them involved they are able to offer opinions and ask questions in the future that may give a new and refreshing take on keeping.

Gordon 10-01-2017 05:15 PM

Things have been very quiet recently but that's probably because most people's torts are all tucked up asleep which is one of the reasons I have a few different types so I have some to keep me going over winter.
I'm even off to get another at the weekend so will be getting the camera out and putting some pics up.:grin::grin::grin:

Ozric Jonathan 10-01-2017 07:47 PM

Looking forward to photos of the new one Gordon!

burnt toast 10-01-2017 08:13 PM

I think thats agood idea Jonathon, make them feel welcome.

Can they receive pm,s with less than 5 posts?

I think its amazing when you think how many used to use this forum :( where have they all gone?:(

burnt toast 10-01-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 669687)
Things have been very quiet recently but that's probably because most people's torts are all tucked up asleep which is one of the reasons I have a few different types so I have some to keep me going over winter.
I'm even off to get another at the weekend so will be getting the camera out and putting some pics up.:grin::grin::grin:

Uww exciting, do tell?? :)

burnt toast 10-01-2017 08:20 PM

Just noticed its Dannys birthday. What ashame he doesnt come on any more. :(

emma_mcraf 10-01-2017 09:02 PM

I think it's a great idea Jonathan.
It would be so nice to have a thriving forum again. Sometimes life seems to have taken over, probably for a multitude of reasons but there's definitely people I miss being on here. I'm personally having a bit of a digital detox so spending far less time online. I love popping by here though. :-)

G, you love keeping us in suspense wondering what you're getting next. Can't wait to see your new arrival.
How are the twins doing?

Jan W 10-01-2017 10:16 PM

Good idea.

I really enjoy the forum, never tire of seeing photos.

It is interesting to see how many people look at the posts and also the number of people looking at the threads at any one time.

Suze65 11-01-2017 09:15 AM

Great idea Jonanthan, we must all make more effort to make new members stay. I think Gordon is right, it's a bit quiet in winter cos most peeps torts are tucked up for the winter, and leading up to Christmas everyone gets a bit busy, or ill. But spring is not far away and I'm planning the tortoise garden for the summer, I like to upgrade and make changes every year. Let's start a new thread about our plans for the spring in our tortoise gardens, I love to hear about your ideas, let's share.

emma_mcraf 15-01-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 669687)

Whaddya get then? C'mon........lets see, pretty please. :-D

CherryBrandy 15-01-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma_mcraf (Post 669793)
Whaddya get then? C'mon........lets see, pretty please. :-D

Has it happened yet ? .........!!! We need photographs and two names ! :-D

Jonathan I think that's a lovely idea. I spent my first 3 years just reading, watching the spats as any dysfunctional family has and carries on loving everyone and laughing at the humour of which there is copious amounts. Rachel sent me a 'friend' request after I had started posting and I was so pleased it made me feel more involved also. I do miss some of the absent friends, but there are boomerangs on occasion which put a smile on your face. I think you are either an laster, a taster and gone or a boomerang. I absolutely love tortoises , my whole life revolves around them so SW is part of it :-D

Hanako 16-01-2017 02:24 AM

Why it is so quiet....why new posters prefer to read and don't write unless they really have to (unless they have some serious problem with their animals)... why, oh why....

Well, I would tell you why, but it wouldn't be very helpful because you don't want to hear it anyway.

Alan1 16-01-2017 07:29 AM

Everyone is different but for me, I'd prefer not to be messaged by anyone when I join a forum. I joined a photography forum once where that happened and I was immediately suspicious of what this person was after. :)

CherryBrandy 19-01-2017 04:44 PM

oooh this is like brexit, well those that want to leave are all wrong but those that want to stay are all wrong....or is it those that want to leave are all right and those that want to stay are all right ! There is a philosophical answer to it all. I just respect peoples opinions and if they don't match mine so be it ! A wise man said something about little steps , or little mix, Jan will know, but another wise man said 'try not to merely transmit knowledge, but try and at the same time awaken your minds to basic human qualities....'

That's why people post, read and laugh on here !

On Alan's point some photographers can be a little strange I think, steer clear of strange photographers.

Ozric Jonathan 20-01-2017 09:15 PM

I sent a little welcome message to someone who just joined and the person posted very soon after.

So that's a 100% success rate (so far).

Jan W 20-01-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan (Post 669872)
I sent a little welcome message to someone who just joined and the person posted very soon after.

So that's a 100% success rate (so far).

The personal touch makes such a difference. Well done, worth the effort.

Suze65 21-01-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 669859)
oooh this is like brexit, well those that want to leave are all wrong but those that want to stay are all wrong....or is it those that want to leave are all right and those that want to stay are all right ! There is a philosophical answer to it all. I just respect peoples opinions and if they don't match mine so be it ! A wise man said something about little steps , or little mix, Jan will know, but another wise man said 'try not to merely transmit knowledge, but try and at the same time awaken your minds to basic human qualities....'

That's why people post, read and laugh on here !

On Alan's point some photographers can be a little strange I think, steer clear of strange photographers.

Wise words Clare, I think someone should tell this to old Trumpy , or maybe they have and failed!

Poppy470 21-01-2017 05:21 PM

Hi there everyone, I am a new member and a novice in this field, I have 2 Mediterranean tortoises, that had to be rehomed urgently. They are both males, the previous owner had split the vivarium into two because he said they were fighting? Is this normal? I've been told they are 6yrs old, both have been checked over by the vet who said they are in poor condition. They had been on the wrong food but apart from dandelions, they are not eating much at the moment, when I figure out how to post pictures I will upload some. Just wanted to say Hi to everyone, Great site for info!!

Ozric Jonathan 21-01-2017 09:02 PM

Hi Poppy and welcome to the forum!

It's correct that male tortoises often fight once they past a certain size. It varies between species.
The males of the sort I have always fight once they are more than a few years old and I separate them.

Tortoises often don't eat much if there is a big change so I wouldnt worry about that right now.

We love to see photos!

emma_mcraf 21-01-2017 09:47 PM

Welcome Poppy! :-)

Suze65 22-01-2017 11:05 AM

Hello and welcome Poppy.
If you have more questions , start a new thread. We are always happy to help.

CherryBrandy 22-01-2017 11:18 AM

welcome Poppy, Boys will be boys be it chelonian world. I do have two boy Horsfields that live together happily for 20 years so never say never...with a big enough area..CB

Jan W 22-01-2017 02:37 PM

Welcome Poppy.

Ozric Jonathan 27-01-2017 06:48 PM

I think it's worth going out of our way to be extra friendly to new people. It does seem to make a difference.

We can always get nasty to them later. (No of course I don't mean that!)

tortydat 27-01-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan (Post 670125)
I think it's worth going out of our way to be extra friendly to new people. It does seem to make a difference.

I think it's a great idea of yours Jonathan keep up the good work.

Gordon 30-01-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan (Post 670125)

I totally agree Jonathan believe it or not I bend over backwards to help people but there are always a few who won't listen and then take offence which is a shame but you can only but try.:-)

CherryBrandy 04-02-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortydat (Post 670128)
I think it's a great idea of yours Jonathan keep up the good work.

Ditto for that. I came on hear to learn, talk tortoise and understand peoples views, I don't always agree, but I love the debates, especially when views are exchanged and makes you think or even rethink . What I think we can sometimes loose sight of is we all have an opinion and it's not bullying to express that opinion. I often wonder how some people would cope doing a university debating forum......Boris Johnson and Trump and Putin...worth a go, there could be fisti cuffs at dawn I suspect ! :-? CB

Suze65 04-02-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 670268)
Ditto for that. I came on hear to learn, talk tortoise and understand peoples views, I don't always agree, but I love the debates, especially when views are exchanged and makes you think or even rethink . What I think we can sometimes loose sight of is we all have an opinion and it's not bullying to express that opinion. I often wonder how some people would cope doing a university debating forum......Boris Johnson and Trump and Putin...worth a go, there could be fisti cuffs at dawn I suspect ! :-? CB

They could all learn a thing or two from us :lol:;)

Jan W 06-02-2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 670268)

I think Boris would come out tops as he is bright and his use of the English language most interesting at times even if a little creative. I think he would win the debate. Trump can only use his pen ( I hear the translators are up in arms as he is making them sound unprofessional as he is so inarticulate). Putin in all brawn I think, so he could only win with a fight. Although Boris is bigger than him and Trump has the CIA, FBI and goodness knows what.

I had better take care what I write!

Janie 08-03-2017 08:54 PM

Hello,

I'm new! I have 2 Hermann's from June last year. They are about 4 and called Gertrude and Ermintrude - or the 'The Trudes' as we call them! They are really cute but I spend a lot of time worrying about them. We haven't hibernated them as I was scared they wouldn't wake up but in retrospect might have a go next year.

I have been reading up in the site for a while as there is some good advice out there, so thanks! J x

Jan W 09-03-2017 07:18 PM

Hello Janie - welcome.

I love the names of your torts and look forward to seeing some pictures of them sometime.

I don't know anything about Hermann other than what I have learnt on here, but there will be lots of advice for you.

I was terrified at my first hibernation so I know how you feel. I found it really hard to see them during this time and I was far too cautious in just starting off in a small way and they were 7 when I left them for 8 weeks. After joining this forum it really helped my confidence and I did feel guilty of fussing so much. So, this year I left them from November until beginning of March and they are looking great. Bertie lying in the sun today, but Beatrice staying under a lamp. Both eating well.

It is definitely worth planning early ready for the autumn/winter time.

emma_mcraf 09-03-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janie (Post 670745)
Hello,

I'm new! I have 2 Hermann's from June last year. They are about 4 and called Gertrude and Ermintrude - or the 'The Trudes' as we call them! They are really cute but I spend a lot of time worrying about them. We haven't hibernated them as I was scared they wouldn't wake up but in retrospect might have a go next year.

I have been reading up in the site for a while as there is some good advice out there, so thanks! J x

Welcome to you and the two Trudes, Janie. :-)

Janie 09-03-2017 09:02 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your kind words. One of my goals was that they would spend a lot of time outside but 'up north' just worried about it being a bit chilly. I am in Lancashire by the way. My better half tortoise proofed the garden last year but it just seems too cold for them. He made them an outside house for them to go in the summer they seemed to go in there rather than wander the garden. I have seen that other people have had their torts out already but they seem to have lived in the south. Any guidance appreciated. J x

Suze65 10-03-2017 03:20 PM

Hello Janie and the Trudes, welcome. I have put one big tort out for a few hours yesterday, in my very sheltered garden, as you have said, in the south. I'm sure it's still too cold in the north just yet. But, get the Trudes a cold frame, as big as you can, they can go out surprisingly early if you've got one of these, it will warm up a treat on a sunny day, and is very useful if we have a bad summer. Also very useful is a hand held laser thermometer gun, from Amazon. You can then gage the temp down on the ground where your torts are, which can be very different from head height .

Janie 11-03-2017 10:29 AM

Thanks for the advice. We'll look into the cold frames. I have already purchased the hand held gun to check the temperatures in the pen in the house. What does the temperature need to be for them to go out? Because of work they would need to go out about 8am and would not come in until about 5pm. Also, one of them doesn't seem to be eating - I have offered banana and pear but she doesn't seem interested. They are at the vets next week as I thought it would be good to have them checked over and see what their advice was too. J x

Janie 11-03-2017 11:46 AM

Just to update, Ermintrude has now eaten something! I've been looking into the cold frames, seem to be some nice ones for around £70. Does anyone have any advice on how to set it up? Should I get my better half to make a door so they can go in and out and will? How do you stop them getting too hot? Sorry for the many questions. J x

CherryBrandy 11-03-2017 06:39 PM

Welcome Janie, try keep of the banana and pear as this isn't good food for Hermanns, try more natural food stuffs they could get in the wild, dropped fruits probably do happen but not pears and banana's..... weeds and or florette crispy is ok from supermarkets, lambs lettuce and or rocket. If sheltered in the garden you can probably get away with 10 degrees but think wind chill factor , freezing fog - if a tortoise has low immune they will become ill in those temperature, or stressed but a healthy tortoise, whilst not ideal 10 degrees should be ok , sheltered and under cover...ground soon heats up...ideally 12 degrees and above for active and being able to digest food ....CB

Janie 11-03-2017 06:48 PM

Hello, thanks, we don't give them much fruit as someone told me it was bad for them. To be honest, I just needed to see her eat something and didn't care what it was, I just know she usually goes crazy for a bite of banana. I'm currently looking into the cold frames. I think it's a really good idea and want them to be able to go out. Just need to be sure I'm not going to hurt them in anyway temperature wise. J x

Suze65 12-03-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janie (Post 670776)
Just to update, Ermintrude has now eaten something! I've been looking into the cold frames, seem to be some nice ones for around £70. Does anyone have any advice on how to set it up? Should I get my better half to make a door so they can go in and out and will? How do you stop them getting too hot? Sorry for the many questions. J x

If you get a wooden one, you can easily cut a hole at one end, this is what I have done, if you get a glass / metal framed one you could stand it on bricks with a gap in the bricks for a door way. All cold frames open on top , to control the heat.

I agree with Clare, keep away from banana and other surgery fruit, it's not good for their digestion.