Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Tortoise Health and Vets (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Does eating small stones every now and then offer any health benefits? (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=51078)

BirdieF18 14-07-2012 11:44 PM

Does eating small stones every now and then offer any health benefits?

I have noticed my horsfield sometimes eats a small stone every now and then i know this is fine as long as they are passed which they are I was just simply wandering if eating these has any health benefit to tortoises. I thought it might clear out their system or something. I was wandering if someone could tell me if there is any health benefit to this?
Thanks

shaz 14-07-2012 11:52 PM

I would be worried if i knew my torts were eating stones, as if they dont pass they may cause serious problems to the tort

emmajh 15-07-2012 12:16 PM

My thbs eat stones, one in particular goes out looking for them constantly!! I caught her yesterday trying to eat a huge one! I now break up bits of cuttlefish to resemble stones and place them in her fave hunting ground and she happily eats them instead

Bindi 15-07-2012 07:37 PM

My theory is that they are either looking for calcium -emmajh's suggestion is a great one - or the stones are an aid to digestion

BirdieF18 16-07-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmajh (Post 556331)
My thbs eat stones, one in particular goes out looking for them constantly!! I caught her yesterday trying to eat a huge one! I now break up bits of cuttlefish to resemble stones and place them in her fave hunting ground and she happily eats them instead

I will try this with my tort thanks:razz:

cherylahutch 16-07-2012 01:21 AM

My horsfield elvis used to do this all the time, he loves white ones so probably is a calcium thing tho he has never bothered with his cuttlefish fish even tho I always give him some

Alan1 16-07-2012 07:21 AM

one of my torts passed a huge stone the other day, it was a brown one with jagged edges

Bindi 16-07-2012 11:56 AM

...Ouchie :o

emmajh 16-07-2012 02:12 PM

My torts never ever bother with a cuttle fish in fact they trample in! But if I break it up to stone size pieces some big some small and leave it outside in the pouring rain and mud they are quite happy to eat it then!

shellonia 20-07-2012 09:08 PM

Well I guess they do in the wild as there's no-one there to tell them not to! I guess they actually eat all manner of stuff in a rough mediterranean/ Afghan etc terrain. I mostly leave them to it unless it's obviously sharp or jagged. My 4 year old spurthigh passed 14 medium sized stones leading up to hibernation last year! Because I know she has this habit I always give her fibre pellets in the weeks leading up to it as this smoothes the passage!!