Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Wanted (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Astrochelys radiata (Radiated Tortoise) (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71282)

HerbsParents 24-03-2014 02:23 PM

Astrochelys radiata (Radiated Tortoise)

Hello all, I have fallen in love with Astrochelys radiata and would love to own a pair in the future. Now I understand in the UK where I am based they are not very common but have read that they may be more readily available in Europe more specifically Germany.

Do people know if this is the case if so do people know any breeders?

Many thanks

becciwales 24-03-2014 07:52 PM

Hi and welcome. I can't answer your question but someone will be along to help soon :-)

lonelylayla 24-03-2014 08:52 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum :grin: The radiated are gorgeous, I'm thinking that if you can get them it would probably be at one of the expos - Hamm perhaps. Have you tried a web search - sure I've seen some in the UK but they could be old ads :lol:

Fred123 24-03-2014 09:23 PM

There was a group for sale last year. They were on RFUK, but I think they sold them all. May be worth a search. They are an expensive species to buy.

HerbsParents 26-03-2014 02:44 PM

Thank you replies - it is more of an interest for the future rather than anything too soon unfortunately as will want to own enough space and have everything prepared before hand - I understand they will be quite an expensive species but thinkt hey are just stunning and their situation in the wild is very scary so would love to eventually pick up a hatchling pair - Thought Hamm would be a good bet was just wondering if anyone know of any breeders in europe for tortoises as web search has failed to find any (for me anyway)

Agin cheers for replies - quite funny how first 2 were also located in South wales as my myself, out of curiosity when do you start taking your torts outside? I am currently the proud owner of a 2 year old Testudo Greacea Ibera (spur thighed ) think thats how you spell it and am looking forward to letting him go outside for the first time as only purchased in October

lonelylayla 26-03-2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerbsParents (Post 635406)
Thank you replies - it is more of an interest for the future rather than anything too soon unfortunately as will want to own enough space and have everything prepared before hand - I understand they will be quite an expensive species but thinkt hey are just stunning and their situation in the wild is very scary so would love to eventually pick up a hatchling pair - Thought Hamm would be a good bet was just wondering if anyone know of any breeders in europe for tortoises as web search has failed to find any (for me anyway)

Agin cheers for replies - quite funny how first 2 were also located in South wales as my myself, out of curiosity when do you start taking your torts outside? I am currently the proud owner of a 2 year old Testudo Greacea Ibera (spur thighed ) think thats how you spell it and am looking forward to letting him go outside for the first time as only purchased in October

Just realised - whereabouts in South Wales are you - there are a few of us :lol: My Iberias were out for a couple of hours this morning as the weather was reasonable - supposed to be good at the weekend:grin:

becciwales 26-03-2014 10:21 PM

Ooh, we're recruiting to our South Wales Army Lynne :-)

Whereabouts are you HerbsParents?

I'm going to make my outdoor enclosure soon. I bought my 1st hatchling last July :-)

HerbsParents 27-03-2014 02:37 PM

We are based currently in Cardiff, Herbert went out for a 5 minute investigation a couple of days ago but will take him out for a bit longer next time I get a chance.

becciwales 28-03-2014 11:44 PM

Ooh not far from us, I'm bridgend ;-)

RosieB 29-07-2015 07:50 PM

I go to Hamm but find Radiata are not on open sale there. Many are prebooked and brought to the show for private sale. I know some were brought up to Doncaster earlier this year.
I got mine in Hamm, but it was pre booked.