Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Missing/Found/Stolen (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   anyone lost a tortoise...stockton on tees (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38191)

tartaruga amore 08-09-2010 02:44 PM

anyone lost a tortoise...stockton on tees

as the title says, i have information on a found tortoise, that very shortly is going to be sold, i have mixed feelings on this, and would like to see it returned to its owner, pm me with details please

yuna1971 08-09-2010 09:52 PM

I am sad to hear of this. TA, have spoken to another member and know of the details. I hope the owner can be found.....and that the sell does not go ahead :(
Please let me know if I can help any further with this, TA. xxx :)

tartaruga amore 08-09-2010 10:21 PM

ah thanks rach, you could go in the shop and pretend its yours!!, i think it should have been handed over for rescue, not sure i am happy for it to be sold

yuna1971 08-09-2010 10:24 PM

I heard yes. Its awful. But perhaps an email to somewhere like Defra....might help?
I mentioned this to the other member. They said they might call in and speak to the owner.
I wish I could think of something that would make some difference....but if you want me to email Defra with you...then would be happy to. xx :)

tartaruga amore 09-09-2010 02:14 PM

on rereading this, it sounds like a great big secret, it aint, its a found tortoise, {which is in a pretty bad way} its been handed over to a pet shop, whom is now trying to obtain a license, so he can sell it on

not sure if i agree to someone making a profit
and i know its not fair on tortoise or a newbie owner to buy something that has health issues

tartaruga amore 09-09-2010 02:15 PM

oh and rach has a heart of gold:wink:

Bindi 09-09-2010 04:35 PM

I think as Rach has suggested I'd be inclined to call Defra and explain and see what they make of it. They might tell you that they haven't a hope in hell of getting an article 10 especially if they can't provide any history

tartaruga amore 09-09-2010 05:12 PM

so what do you think defra would expect him to do with the tortoise?

Bindi 09-09-2010 05:35 PM

Well if no cert then obviously they can't sell it legally.
If the shop can't sell it they may try a bit harder to find it's original owner

yuna1971 09-09-2010 08:02 PM

I get what you are saying Bind, but this sort of thing probably goes on, more than what we think - as in torts being sold with no paperwork. The new owner, the buyer - doesnt know what he needs. He wont know that he needs specific paperwork. I will be honest, I didnt know what the form was, had no clue that it was so important. I just think that the owner, the pull of the sale and profit will be too strong. We have to consider that if his thoughts were with the tortoise, he would have already done the right thing and let TA rehome it or take it to a rescue. The owner refused, instead wanting to sale. So he wants these papers purely for this. I dont think for one minute that IF he was refused by Defra, that he would bat an eyelid. He would just sell without, and hope for no comeback. This sort of thing is bound to go on. We often chose not to believe it as it is just immorally wrong.
I feel so sad for this whole situation. And I truly truly hope that he DOESNT get the paperwork, and that he sees sense or has a heart somewhere, somehow.
TA, I would like to keep my offer to you - that if you need me to write or email Defra with you, for support, I would be only to happy to get involved. xxx :)