Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Breeding and Incubation (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Chalking in Hermann eggs and when to give up? (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74206)

Patti 24-09-2016 02:54 PM

Chalking in Hermann eggs and when to give up?

Hi, my 8 Hermann eggs have been incubated for almost four weeks, temp 31-32 degrees and 75% humidity.

I've candled three times at weekly intervals.
No sign of the ring of life or veins but all the eggs are continuing to chalk. Some, just the base or tips are left to chalk.

I haven't been a member long enough to post photos yet.

Is it time to switch off the incubator?

terrypin 07-10-2016 03:36 PM

Hi dont turn off the incubator I really dont think anyone should advise that, since they have continued to chalk up. You are now looking at 6 weeks so any where from 1/2 to 2/3 way through incubation at those temperatures. The best way to be successful hatching eggs is to leave them alone until they are about this stage they can be damaged very easily during the early stages. Depending on egg size you will be looking at 50-70 days. check the eggs for pipping from 50 days and if nothing by 70 days shine a torch light through the eggs in a blacked out room if the eggs look empty discard them if they are black or very dark possibly with a distinct airpocket in them then wait a little longer. Good luck.

Minghoturtoise 30-11-2016 08:36 PM

I am new at this site, i have a question my tortoise laid three eggs and they are all dented, i have placed them in warmth and kept them moist. The yolk seems to be filling up the eggs but it did not totally get rid of the dents. Can a dented egg produce a tortoise?

Jan W 03-12-2016 01:57 PM

Hello
I am afraid I am unable to answer your questions, but thought I would respond so that your post of a few days ago appeared today - 3rd December, so one of the more experienced members could answer.

Welcome to the forum.

sandy 03-12-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minghoturtoise (Post 669404)
I am new at this site, i have a question my tortoise laid three eggs and they are all dented, i have placed them in warmth and kept them moist. The yolk seems to be filling up the eggs but it did not totally get rid of the dents. Can a dented egg produce a tortoise?

I have bred tortoises for over 25yrs and never seen a dented egg or heard of one. Cracked yes.
Can you post a picture please?
The shell is usually hard so dents dont happen.
Now turtle eggs do dent as they are softer and dent when there is not enough humidity.

terrypin 03-12-2016 07:42 PM

Could you advise what species these are. Am surprise you have not seen this before Sandy I understand it can happen with Boxies

sandy 03-12-2016 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrypin (Post 669444)
Could you advise what species these are. Am surprise you have not seen this before Sandy I understand it can happen with Boxies

Yes it happened to my boxie eggs, I just upped the humidity and the dents disappeared:0)

terrypin 03-12-2016 09:05 PM

This is the reason I asked for the species Sandy the person with dented eggs is not the original poster who has Hermanns eggs. I think this was what led you astray?

Minghoturtoise 04-12-2016 01:09 AM

My eggs are from box tortoise or ornate desert turtles

terrypin 04-12-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy (Post 669445)
Yes it happened to my boxie eggs, I just upped the humidity and the dents disappeared:0)

I think Sandy has answered your question here. It is not uncommon for this to happen with box tortoises eggs.