Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Growing Food Indoors (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73363)

ZZRPRID 25-08-2015 12:53 PM

Growing Food Indoors

Hi All,

I am have a large amount of work about to start in my garden over the next few months. so would it be possible grow plants and weeds indoors ??

Thanks

Stuart

Stellanne 25-08-2015 09:40 PM

I don't really have an answer because I have never been able to grow weeds indoors. However, what I do manage is to pull up weeds and replant them in suitable areas or in pots x x x. Hugs x x

emma_mcraf 25-08-2015 09:40 PM

Hi Stuart. I grow aloe and spider plants indoors, but the spider plants tend not to get eaten, just used for shelter or climbing on!
I also grow cactus and ice plant and weeds can start well on the windowsill but have a tendency to get a little leggy during the winter months. That said, I've had clover, milk thistle and pansies do well on the windowsill. They always do better outside but there's no harm in trying indoors. Good luck!

ZZRPRID 25-08-2015 10:27 PM

Thanks for the reply's :-):-) one will give it a go , and see what happens.

Thanks

Stuart

wigwamman 26-08-2015 02:02 PM

weeds tend not to grow well in shallow pots/trays as their tap root has nowhere to go.having deep pots or buckets on the window sill is asking for trouble from the other half.:lol:

ZZRPRID 26-08-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wigwamman (Post 657690)
weeds tend not to grow well in shallow pots/trays as their tap root has nowhere to go.having deep pots or buckets on the window sill is asking for trouble from the other half.:lol:

I'am all ways in trouble with other half lol :-o what you say makes some sense.

Thanks

Stuart

Ozric Jonathan 26-08-2015 09:19 PM

One of the problems is that they tend to grow very tall and spindly indoors. We might think there is enough light but for most weeds a windowsill is not bright enough. Especially in the winter months.

sandy 27-08-2015 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZRPRID (Post 657652)
Hi All,

I am have a large amount of work about to start in my garden over the next few months. so would it be possible grow plants and weeds indoors ??

Thanks

Stuart

To get decent weeds you cannot grow them inside sucssesfully:0(
Growing outside is the only way to get good weeds. You will be surprised how easy it is to grow them outside, even in the Winter.
Find a sheltered place a deep pot and sow. Water and leave nature to do its thing:0)

CherryBrandy 27-08-2015 11:14 AM

I am certainly going to try your suggestions Sandy. I have always sown in spring never autumn so its new to me and I am quite excited. I have some (see thru) plastic sheeting too for one area to try.
I love black eyed susan but can't see what bit is the seed head if anyone can help. or is that cuttings....sure my torts like to look at them too so it is tort related ! ...anyway aren't they bindweed family? CB

sandy 27-08-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 657726)
I am certainly going to try your suggestions Sandy. I have always sown in spring never autumn so its new to me and I am quite excited. I have some (see thru) plastic sheeting too for one area to try.
I love black eyed susan but can't see what bit is the seed head if anyone can help. or is that cuttings....sure my torts like to look at them too so it is tort related ! ...anyway aren't they bindweed family? CB

Sheeting will always help as it keeps the seeds moist:0)
I personally have never tried Black eyed susan so cant say.
If they are the bind weed family they can be fed in moderation:0)