Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Evolving Husbandry (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   just a question.. (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74824)

sprakey34 06-07-2018 10:35 PM

just a question..

Hi, I had one hermann partially hatch before it died a couple of days ago. While it was hatching, i though it had a deformed front leg and started thinking ahead. I had 5 eggs laid but looks like this one was the only one fertilized and I had homes for them all. If this little one had survived and was deformed I would have kept it. However, indoor space is short- already have an indian star which lives indoors. Here is my question- the pathogens that different species carry that could harm others - are tortoises born with these pathogens or would they pick them up in the wild? The reason I ask was could I have safely kept the baby hermann in with the indian star ( only 4inches) until big enough to go out with parents who live outdoors all year. I keep strict hygeine rules when It come to handling between the two species so the star has not had contact with anything since I got him as a 4 week old and the hatchling wouldn't have had contact with anything else.
many thanks
Meriel

Jan W 07-07-2018 03:59 PM

My understanding is that the different species carry micro-organisms that are normal for their species and do not cause them any infections. In another species, the micro-organisms are potentially harmful and therefore called pathogenic - ability to cause disease.

As soon as they hatch they are exposed to micro-organisms and some will be the harmless ones that reside on them. They do not live in a sterile but hopefully a clean environment.

I don't know the particular micro-organisms and would be interested to know if anyone has this detail.

I do know for example that chickens happily carry salmonella, but in a human they are pathogenic with the potential to cause humans infections.

Also, you may need to ask if different species have different requirements in terms of temperature and humidity, otherwise one species could receive an advantage over the other.

However, please note i am not an expert and look forward to others to comment.

tortydat 07-07-2018 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprakey34 (Post 675275)
Hi, I had one hermann partially hatch before it died a couple of days ago. While it was hatching, i though it had a deformed front leg and started thinking ahead. I had 5 eggs laid but looks like this one was the only one fertilized and I had homes for them all. If this little one had survived and was deformed I would have kept it. However, indoor space is short- already have an indian star which lives indoors. Here is my question- the pathogens that different species carry that could harm others - are tortoises born with these pathogens or would they pick them up in the wild? The reason I ask was could I have safely kept the baby hermann in with the indian star ( only 4inches) until big enough to go out with parents who live outdoors all year. I keep strict hygeine rules when It come to handling between the two species so the star has not had contact with anything since I got him as a 4 week old and the hatchling wouldn't have had contact with anything else.
many thanks
Meriel

Personally I don't think it would be advisable at all as Indian Stars need a much higher temperature than Hermanns without going into the transfer of bugs thing also the size difference wouldn't be a good idea either IMO.

sandy 07-07-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortydat (Post 675277)
Personally I don't think it would be advisable at all as Indian Stars need a much higher temperature than Hermanns without going into the transfer of bugs thing also the size difference wouldn't be a good idea either IMO.

My thoughts too Mary:0)

sprakey34 07-07-2018 08:39 PM

Thank you for your replies.
meriel

Suze65 08-07-2018 03:41 PM

Agree with Mary

CherryBrandy 12-07-2018 04:23 PM

sprakey if space is the issue try a sturdy seed tray or cheapy plastic dog bed, you can always cellotape decorative cardboard round the edge if escape is a possibility but big enough for proper husbandry and safeguard against escape and clamp a D3 Arcadia on there. little hermy won't know he is in a seed tray or doggy bed and you can worry about increase in size later. Its more hygienic also to clean out and separate from Mr Star, good luck, CB

sprakey34 15-07-2018 04:16 PM

Thank you. Will bear that in mind if lucky enough to have eggs next year.. Only had one hatch from 5 eggs this year and that little one died.
meriel

CherryBrandy 15-07-2018 07:26 PM

Meriel, I know you have posted before about eggies. You are only up the road from me so will be having same temperatures, hope your star is ok. as ambient is so hot at the moment (42 if I turn the lamps on) I didn't realise you had lost one little one, I thought it had survived - sorry to hear that and hope next year is better. take care CB