Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Response from Tesco (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43811)

thunor 26-06-2011 11:11 PM

Response from Tesco

I emailed Tesco's with regards to this after seeing 'THAT' video and I got a response today:

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate you are concerned about the animal welfare issues associated with the sale of turtles in China. We have a track record of considering evidence, working with others and listening to their concerns. As a result, we have made several significant improvements to the way turtles are sold in our stores, such as making sure that the way in which they are handled is to the highest possible standard.

This approach to animal welfare and the sale of live turtles - seeking out research, acting on it and educating customers - is unprecedented by any retailer operating in China and we hope that these actions will help to drive up standards throughout the supply chain.

Some organisations are asking us to stop selling live turtles completely. While we are committed to upholding the very important issue of animal welfare, we also need to balance different cultural attitudes, in this case respecting the different traditions, expectations and values on this issue that exists in China.

Turtles are a popular and traditional part of the Chinese diet and, having addressed these important animal welfare concerns, we continue to sell turtles in our stores in China.

Thank you for your interest.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES9929791X.

Kind Regards

Melanie Newman
Customer Service Manager
Tesco Customer Service

So they are still doing it.......

Geomyda 27-06-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunor (Post 474893)
I emailed Tesco's with regards to this after seeing 'THAT' video and I got a response today:

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate you are concerned about the animal welfare issues associated with the sale of turtles in China. We have a track record of considering evidence, working with others and listening to their concerns. As a result, we have made several significant improvements to the way turtles are sold in our stores, such as making sure that the way in which they are handled is to the highest possible standard.

This approach to animal welfare and the sale of live turtles - seeking out research, acting on it and educating customers - is unprecedented by any retailer operating in China and we hope that these actions will help to drive up standards throughout the supply chain.

Some organisations are asking us to stop selling live turtles completely. While we are committed to upholding the very important issue of animal welfare, we also need to balance different cultural attitudes, in this case respecting the different traditions, expectations and values on this issue that exists in China.

Turtles are a popular and traditional part of the Chinese diet and, having addressed these important animal welfare concerns, we continue to sell turtles in our stores in China.

Thank you for your interest.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES9929791X.

Kind Regards

Melanie Newman
Customer Service Manager
Tesco Customer Service

So they are still doing it.......

Yes indeed,
There are effectively two issues here. One referred to as Animal welfare, which is a subject caught up in cultural double talk. The second, sustainable resourse, in the supply chain. Having worked upon this subject and viewed the scientific paper commissioned by Tesco themselves a couple of years ago. I can say that the document was a rather poorly executed work which set to vindicate a rather shabby marketing position for this very high profile multi national retail group.
I am afraid, that the UK based shareholders might be rather shocked to know too much more about this trade!:roll:

Naturalee 13-07-2011 12:37 AM

I'm a bit behind with this Tesco subject, so forgive my ignorance, but aren't all the turtles wild caught?! Shouldn't they stop selling them on that basis alone, due to it surely being unsustainable from a conservation point of view!?

anna m 13-07-2011 02:38 AM

They are wild caught Naturalee
but they don't appear to care about this

Alan1 13-07-2011 10:42 AM

Being wild caught wouldn't make a difference I doubt, fish are wild caught. it would make a difference when they become low in numbers then limits would be put on like the fishing has

tilly790 13-07-2011 12:11 PM

tesco

I wrote to tesco some time ago..i dont think they are really bothered about anything only profit..i wont buy anything from tesco stores now..

terig 13-07-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilly790 (Post 478858)
I wrote to tesco some time ago..i dont think they are really bothered about anything only profit..i wont buy anything from tesco stores now..

Totally agree with you. They are taking over small villiages, driving out small business and their ethical standards leave alot to be desired, judging by the previous posts re turtles. So I am with you boycotting tescos ....

jonesy 14-07-2011 06:32 PM

Yes we had a tesco put just outside our market town and we already have 3 small supermarkets. A lot of people do not like it and I would not step foot in it. My Beaver scouts could not go and help with bag packing when they opened last year without a parent because I refused to do it, and a lot of parents refused once I told them why.

My sons go in occasionally just to wind me up, but I refuse to eat the food and go and get my own from one of the others. :razz:

Geomyda 13-01-2012 05:02 AM

Tesco value takes a tumble!
Makes one think???

Geomyda 13-01-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomyda (Post 519431)
Tesco value takes a tumble!
Makes one think???

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...rtleposter.jpg
A character seen trying to booking a place at the next Tesco plc AGM:?: