Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rehome - yellow bellied sliders (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74680)

julieb33 05-12-2017 04:42 PM

Rehome - yellow bellied sliders

I urgently need to rehome a pair of Yellow Bellied Sliders but so far have been unsuccessful as I have been told the law has changed regarding this particular type of turtle. Can anyone help please? I really don't want to have them put to sleep...

tortydat 09-12-2017 03:52 PM

Hello Julie not sure where you are located but I have just seen there is a turtle rescue in Kent and the contact details are Michael on 07817459733. A sanctuary is your only option for re-homing them otherwise it is putting them to sleep which you obviously don't want to do. Good luck Mary

ClareandCo 10-12-2017 02:08 AM

Appears to be a non-registered charity.

tortydat 10-12-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClareandCo (Post 673645)
Appears to be a non-registered charity.

Does it have to be a registered charity as I know this gentleman isn't registered?

ClareandCo 11-12-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortydat (Post 673646)
Does it have to be a registered charity as I know this gentleman isn't registered?

As I understand it, yes, a registered or recognised rehoming centre. They cannot even pass, say, between keepers of only one or two turtles.

That link you provided - I wonder how on earth he affords to run it? Certainly a lot of turtles per pond. He can't possibly check on them all regularly. I see also there is a £45 charge for each turtle passed to him - that really is 'opening a can of worms' legally.

tortydat 11-12-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClareandCo (Post 673647)
As I understand it, yes, a registered or recognised rehoming centre. They cannot even pass, say, between keepers of only one or two turtles.

That link you provided - I wonder how on earth he affords to run it? Certainly a lot of turtles per pond. He can't possibly check on them all regularly. I see also there is a £45 charge for each turtle passed to him - that really is 'opening a can of worms' legally.

I got that link from another tortoise group who have used this chap. All very well only registered sanctuaries but where are they? Would you have any contact details for people?

Gordon 11-12-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClareandCo (Post 673647)

I think this chap and his mother need all the help they can get. They get my thumbs up even if they aren't a registered charity and as for the £45 they deserve every penny.
Where are all the turtle/terapins going if nobody steps up, I can tell you where in lakes and ponds or just dumped wherever.

ClareandCo 11-12-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 673649)
I think this chap and his mother need all the help they can get. They get my thumbs up even if they aren't a registered charity and as for the £45 they deserve every penny.
Where are all the turtle/terapins going if nobody steps up, I can tell you where in lakes and ponds or just dumped wherever.

Undoubtedly true. We have taken in rehomers without charging, prior to the new legislation I hasten to add, and it is indeed a sorry situation. However, he has to be extremely careful what with charging a fee and also with the new rulings, as does anyone rehoming to him.

Should he have to stop though that is going to be a major problem with that number.

tortydat 11-12-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClareandCo (Post 673650)
Undoubtedly true. We have taken in rehomers without charging, prior to the new legislation I hasten to add, and it is indeed a sorry situation. However, he has to be extremely careful what with charging a fee and also with the new rulings, as does anyone rehoming to him.

Should he have to stop though that is going to be a major problem with that number.

Terrapins have been a problem for ever sadly as it's not their fault but I keep thinking of them being dumped especially in this very cold weather. Maybe we should start a thread about whether in fact euthanasia is in fact the best answer?

CherryBrandy 12-12-2017 11:45 AM

I wonder what the change in the law is and whether it is primary or secondary legislation.
It seems to me that if there is a change which requires registration of charities onto a central register then there is usually going to be a regulatory body set up who can impose any statutory powers.
To my mind as long as within the legal framework, whether a sanctuary is a registered charity or not (it costs a lot of capital and turnover to be registered) it should be considered where there is a recommendation from a approved or recognised authority.