PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Kent...

sezzie
12-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi I live in Kent with my 4 kids, partner & my huge amount of animals but Ive been researching about tortoises as Id like to get one... Ive finally decided on a Horsfield but am not getting one until Ive got everything I need....I have a very big rabbit cage, the kind with the plastic bottom & wire top but Im abit confused about the lighting & vitamins etc. Ive given myself a complete headache looking online for various info :cry: could someone please help me out with the exact lighting & vitamins etc that I need, Im very much a 'list' person :lol: & like to make lists of my animal bits so I know exactly what they need. I breed french lop rabbits, we also have parrots, dogs, stick insects, hermit crabs, guniea pigs, hamsters, chinchillas, fish & gerbils. phew its a zoo! :roll: thanks in advance for any help. x x

DAISY
12-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi, the list can be endless if you let your imagination run wild.
For lighting I use a t rex combined active uv heat bulb, bit expensive, but seems better than uv strip and seperate basking bulb and lasts longer.
I also use a zoo med reptile lamp stand as I find it easier than trying to hang lamp from cage bars and a zoo med brooder lamp with a porcelain fitting. But everyone has their preferences.
Vits nutrobal
60% topsoil/40% playsand for substrate
Water bowl
Slate for eating from
Rocks, stones, hidey things like plant pots, tort safe plants, mini log rolls(like used for small mammals) etc etc etc
Have a good look around in here for some great ideas and I find it cheaper to buy lighting and stuff on line.
Hope I helped

Rach

Toni115
12-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi
Welcome from me :lol:
As Rach has said, have a good look around the site, theres tons of info :lol:

sezzie
12-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi Many thanks for your help...Im going to have a look about now online & here for ideas. thanks again xx

KearasNana
12-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi
I live in Kent also! big welcome to SW :D

sezzie
16-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I brought 2 x 06 Horsfields yesterday, we have named them Turbo & Scooby :lol: They are doing well & eating etc. I was looking at another forum :oops: I belong to a mixture with all my animals & am a moderator on one of them. I had asked them advice about tortoises in the week, mentioned about my new torts & said I was advised to use 'Alfalfa Pellets' as a subtrate...talk about jump down my cyber throat, I was made to feel so unwelcome & some people were down right rude, not all, some were nice but Im not venturing back there again! I have now been told that sand & top soil would be better & auboise hemp...please if this is wrong dont shout Im abit fragile now :lol:

Will post some pics of Turbo & Scooby xx

sarah
16-09-2007, 05:55 PM
What a shame.

Top soil mixed with childrens play sand 60/40 is good and also hemp. You can use both sand and soil and a layer of hemp on top.

linda
16-09-2007, 06:05 PM
hi sezzie :D

a big warm welcome from me :D

sezzie
16-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Many thanks. xx

TortMad
16-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Sezzie :D

Welcome to the list :D

Congratulations on your new arrivals, Im sure you will love keeping torts, Horsfields especially :D

There is a lot of conflicting info out there esp. on the web. I wish SW was around when I first got my first tort, I had many many many questions (still do to be honest :oops: )

Enjoy Turbo and Scooby :D

Eire_Ade
19-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi Sezzie,

Welcome to Shelled Warriors, you have been given great advice here already.

Ade :wink:

joathome
19-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi and welcome, excellent choice i have horsfields they are full of charactor :D :D :D :D :D :D