PDA

View Full Version : How old is my Horsfield??

Harri Hughes
13-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Everyone - just put some pics of Harri on the Pictures bit........ a few of you seems to think she is older than 1 year - she is 100g and 75mm long. Have attached a pic - any ideas? The online shop told me she was 1 year old - but not convinced now!! :lol: Many thanks.......... will still love her lots, no matter how old!

http://upload2.postimage.org/255707/DSC00687.jpg (http://upload2.postimage.org/255707/photo_hosting.html)

niamherrity
13-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I would say at least 2/3 years old, going by the size and weight :D

helen1
13-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Only had horsefields once for a short term foster as I only have spurs/hermanns but if I were to compare I really cannot see them being one.

Becks
13-08-2007, 10:58 PM
have to say at that size as stated in your other thread between 2/3years old :D

dizzywend
13-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Older than one most definetely, Would agree with 2/3

wendy

DAISY
13-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Couldn't the tort just have been grown too quickly, or is this too dramatic a difference in size. Im just curious thats all.
I know when I got my horsfield years ago there was another that had been returned to the seller and it was a monster compared to the rest although it had been of similar size when sold according to the shop keeper. He was quite proud of it as he said he could get more money for it.

Rach

dizzywend
13-08-2007, 11:50 PM
All my russians are overgrown! lumpy shells etc, they were all rehomed to me!
I think we would need to know more of the background first!

At 1 yr old, i think that a viv and bad diet would make the tort seem older, but not sure if it would be this size!

wendy

wizzasmum
14-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Looking at the tort it is very overgrown. Did it come to you like that or is it a result of overfeeding since you had it? Which online shop did you get it from?

EJ
14-08-2007, 03:22 AM
Definately CB. 2 to 3 years would be a good guess. It looks like a very healthy animal. the bumpy scutes is not from accelerated growth but from improper conditions in general... in my opinion.

Nice tortoise.

wizzasmum
14-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Now I am not saying where this tortoise came from but Ed, How TF can you say it was definately captive bred unless you bred it yourself. that is such an unbelievable statement. I despair at times :roll:

Harri Hughes
14-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Harri was delivered on the 12 July 2007 - so haven't had her very long. When we first put her out in the sun she hid in a flower pot for a long time but was eventually tempted out by a dandelion and she loves being outside now! She eats well and as you can see has cuttlefish on tap and Neutrobol on food.

As a brand new tortoise keeper I had no idea that there was a list of recommended breeders and I am sorry to say that where I bought Harri is not listed!! I am so glad that I found the Shelled Warriors website - although the instructions I got with Harri were pretty good - just not as informative as you lot!! :lol:

KayMarie
14-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Have you been keeping track of Harry's eight since you got her/him?

Its an idea to get yourself a little notebook, jot down the date and her weight and keep track.

Weigh her every two weeks for a couple of months to begin with, to check and make sure you are not over feeding, then every month after that. When you are certain she is not gaining more the 2-3g's a month, weigh her every month anndkeep her weight gain steady. Anymore then this and you should think about cutting her portions down :D

EJ
14-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Any experienced tortoise keeper will know that a WC tortoise will usually wear off the baby scutes by the time they are the size of the tortoise pictured... especially Russian tortoises which are known burrowers. If it is WC it was collected as a baby. I guess I stand corrected. It very well could be WC but if it is it was collected as a hatchling or there about but I doubt it.

(btw... classy language)

Now I am not saying where this tortoise came from but Ed, How TF can you say it was definately captive bred unless you bred it yourself. that is such an unbelievable statement. I despair at times :roll:

wizzasmum
14-08-2007, 03:16 PM
[quote="EJ"]Any experienced tortoise keeper will know that a WC tortoise will usually wear off the baby scutes by the time they are the size of the tortoise pictured... especially Russian tortoises which are known burrowers. If it is WC it was collected as a baby. I guess I stand corrected. It very well could be WC but if it is it was collected as a hatchling or there about but I doubt it.

You know full well that they are taken from the wild when babies Ed. My own four from the russian 700 had quite prominent centres to their scutes - I guess you are more used to handling wild caught adults - couldn't do it myself, knowingly.

(btw... classy language)
What Tortoise Friendly? What!!!!!!<vbg>

helen1
14-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Well said there is no need for the manner of non-discussion that arises-or the rolling eyes

helen1
14-08-2007, 06:46 PM
I too have a vast discrepancy in size of 2 2yr old and 2 3yr old iberas both pairs are sisters and both are vastly different in size, I never restrict food however-not on purpose-my little lot would be very miffed if I restricted their portions, they walk away when they have had enough and forage outside the rest of the day. None are overgrown or pyramided, some weeks they gain some they do not, bit like rearing babies really-too much advice leads to over worry and stress as everyone else seems to be the expert-chill and enjoy, if he was 50 you would love him!!

wizzasmum
14-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Well said there is no need for the manner of non-discussion that arises-or the rolling eyes

Sorry Freda :roll:
:wink:

joathome
17-08-2007, 09:11 PM
My 2 horsfields are 3 yrs old and weight 100g, hope this helps :D

Julia
21-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi,
I have also wondered about the size difference in siblings. These are my herman girls from the same parents, one 5 and one 4 years old. They find their own food in the garden and I only add a weekly dose of Nutrobal. The younger one does not seem to catch up in size and is growing at a slower rate than the older one.
Both are a bit bumpy too, not sure what I can do about it.
Julia

http://upload2.postimage.org/380755/June07020.jpg (http://upload2.postimage.org/380755/photo_hosting.html)

EJ
21-08-2007, 10:44 PM
If they have free range of the garded there is only one element that might be lacking... heat. I don't think Hermans range as far north as the UK so the average temperature is going to be lower so you should provide supplemental heat in the form of a coldframe or heat mat. If you are already doing this... disregard the comment.

[quote="Julia"]

Julia
22-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks, I have indeed a coldframe with a heater lamp, which they can access as they like. In early spring and late autumn I take them indoors. Not sure where i go wrong.
Julia

EJ
22-08-2007, 08:02 PM
There are a few things...

It could be sick. If weight is good and it is eating at all, I would think this is not the case.

Regional climatic conditions changing on a day to day basis can have an effect.

Then there is light cycle... summer has passed and the days are getting shorter. I believe you are north of it's natural range so it might be winding down.

Do you normally hibernate the tortoise?

Thanks, I have indeed a coldframe with a heater lamp, which they can access as they like. In early spring and late autumn I take them indoors. Not sure where i go wrong.
Julia

Julia
24-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Yes they both hibernate in a fridge and do not loose much weight. Both were also wormed prior to this.
Jessie, the big one, eats much more than Titch. I have weighed them today, and am almost embarrassed to say that Jessie must be very overweight. She is 12cm long and weighs 539g ! Titch is 8cm and weighs 168g, which is probably a lot more normal for her 4 years. I can't restrict her food intake in the garden, and she seems well in herself. Perhaps I have a giant tortoise????