PDA

View Full Version : turtles @ dobbies

geordie mark
04-08-2007, 09:38 PM
nearly bought one today 21 quid ! they was only babies smaller than my leopards yellow bellies and some other type lol lovely and amazing creatures how they climb :shock: really wanted one but with the amount of torts we have well be pushed for space for the tank theyll eventually require but they told us they had been abandoned and they werent selling anymore due too people buying babies and not realising their potential size lol

bruceleetortoise
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
i spoke to someone the other day who owns a petshop and he told me that he had been asked by the RSPCA to stop selling them, as once they get to their full size loads of people are dumping them in rivers and lakes. but....

he was still selling them...

phoenix23db
07-08-2007, 05:50 PM
yea thats a good pitch by the RSPCA but are petshops ever gunna stop selling something that is well.. selling. :?
i cant see it happening myself but i can see their point of view, its a shame for the little critters :(

geordie mark
07-08-2007, 05:54 PM
i was really tempted like but i just havent got the space as i say fair enough if we just had the hermanns but weve got 2 leopards and 2 redfoots which will need a large enclosure ie my bedroom when i move out lmao shame though if i had the space ide hhave bought one but the larger the tank the more hassle etc i think ill stick too torts for now lol as cool as they were :(

leggy
07-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I got my YBS in a pond now. I wont more but i dont wont to buy from shop so im waiting to rehome some

geordie mark
07-08-2007, 09:15 PM
what do you doo in the winter though ? and how do you keep the pond water warm ?

leggy
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Thay will hibernate in winter and thay dont need a heater

geordie mark
08-08-2007, 10:05 PM
dam will they live with other fish ie gold fish koi karp ?

Graham
18-08-2007, 10:32 AM
£21 is really expensive for a hatchling YBS, average price around here is £12, but you can get rescues/rehomers for free, they are everywhere!

geordie mark
26-08-2007, 09:35 AM
might give it some consideration next summer thanks for the replies !

leggy
26-08-2007, 11:18 AM
dam will they live with other fish ie gold fish koi karp ? no they will eat small fish and damage larger fish taking chunks out of fins etc ,not something a koi owner will appreciate.

Graham
26-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Some species are OK with fish when they are bigger, Florida Red Bellies for instance are total veggies as adults and fish, especially larger ones should be fine. Mine will go in my main pond with goldfish and koi when she's fully grown.