PDA

View Full Version : Male Horsfield

Catwoman63
18-03-2014, 09:40 AM
It is with great sadness that after much thought I am rehoming my little Tyler, I have to do this because I can't really keep more than 1 male horsfield without compromising space for their seperate enclosures, I've decided to keep Spartacus as he is much older and has already been through several homes and been badly damaged in the past.

He is 10cm and 2 years old and is already trying to bite the female juveniles so is maturing quickly.

He hibernated successfully for 10 weeks for the first time and is doing great, he hasn't had any health issues in his 2 years. He has been fed on a weed/salad diet and supplemented with calcium and nutrobol.

His new home must be with an experienced keeper of this species and have indoor and outside enclosures as this is how he has been living.

Please PM if interested. I would also like to see some pictures of your set up.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/Catwoman63/image_zpsa97593f7.jpg (http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/Catwoman63/media/image_zpsa97593f7.jpg.html)

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/Catwoman63/image_zpsa827e92a.jpg (http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/Catwoman63/media/image_zpsa827e92a.jpg.html)

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/Catwoman63/image_zpsc2b3bc0c.jpg (http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/Catwoman63/media/image_zpsc2b3bc0c.jpg.html)

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/Catwoman63/image_zpsae3e6115.jpg (http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/Catwoman63/media/image_zpsae3e6115.jpg.html)

Suze65
18-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Oh dear what a shame, he's so sweet. I wish I could take him for you Bev but I can't , not enough space . I'm sure you will find a good home.

Catwoman63
18-03-2014, 09:54 AM
I don't want to do it really suze, but I've thought long and hard, and I can only keep 1 male horsfield (I'm thinking of the future) he has always lived with the young girls and is already stressing Roxy out a bit as she now won't get up early like she used to and goes to bed earlier, it's such a shame Tyler is a male :( x

becciwales
18-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Oh Bev, that's hard for you. I'm sorry you have to do this. I'm sure you will find him a great home. Fingers crossed someone on here that you know will be able to help out. xxx hugs xxx

emma_mcraf
18-03-2014, 10:46 AM
It must be heartbreaking for you Bev. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can find an excellent home for Tyler, with someone you can keep in contact with so you can see how he grows up.

Suze65
18-03-2014, 11:07 AM
I don't want to do it really suze, but I've thought long and hard, and I can only keep 1 male horsfield (I'm thinking of the future) he has always lived with the young girls and is already stressing Roxy out a bit as she now won't get up early like she used to and goes to bed earlier, it's such a shame Tyler is a male :( x

I know what you are saying Bev, I couldn't cope with more than one Ptolome, he's such a bugger :D if only they could just behave, then they could stay :x

I will keep everything crossed for you.

becciwales
18-03-2014, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=mediterraneansuze;634565
I will keep everything crossed for you.[/QUOTE]

Me too xxxx

Catwoman63
18-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Thank you ladies, its very difficult to do, and it saddens me greatly :( x

wks9362
18-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Oh bless you! I am sure you will find a good home for Tyler. He is uber cute!! Wishing I had horsfields aswell as hermanns now!!

Good luck.

burnt toast
18-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Oh Bev, im sure he will find a loving home, hehS such a cute face, good luck!

Charlottealotoftorts
18-03-2014, 10:22 PM
I hope you find a great home for Tyler x

alley cat
18-03-2014, 10:28 PM
I am sure you are making a sensible decision for you and Tyler, sometimes we have to make hard choices but I am sure the right home will be out there for him x

Catwoman63
19-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Thankyou all for your kind words, I feel terrible, and look in his eyes and melt, but I have to think of the others :( x

lonelylayla
19-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Thankyou all for your kind words, I feel terrible, and look in his eyes and melt, but I have to think of the others :( x

:cry::cry: I do sympathise Bev, I keep looking at my boys and feel so guilty :sad:

Catwoman63
19-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Lynne I saw your for sale post the other day, it must have been so hard to chose who's going, have you had any response? I'm not surprised that I haven't had one as who wants a male horsfield there are so many up for rehoming or sale :( x

lonelylayla
19-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Lynne I saw your for sale post the other day, it must have been so hard to chose who's going, have you had any response? I'm not surprised that I haven't had one as who wants a male horsfield there are so many up for rehoming or sale :( x

Have posted here and on several Facebook reptile group pages - lots of nice comments but no new homes as yet. Mind you, I put so many conditions on the post that I may well have frightened people off :lol::lol: Can't just let our babies go anywhere tho :sad:

Catwoman63
20-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Have posted here and on several Facebook reptile group pages - lots of nice comments but no new homes as yet. Mind you, I put so many conditions on the post that I may well have frightened people off :lol::lol: Can't just let our babies go anywhere tho :sad:

Yes I agree Lynne, I've only posted on here so far, but if no response then ill have to rehome him through the TPG x

alley cat
20-03-2014, 08:16 AM
He would make the perfect tortoise for someone that only wants to have 1 as a pet, the problem is that most people on here already have at least that.

You could advertise on Gumtree or Preloved but just be fussy about who you sell to. I had someone contact me about a hatchling yesterday and initially arranged for them to come round, then I asked about their setup and it was a viv with pellet substrate, they had bought tortoise pellets for its food and a 240w light?:shock: I phoned at this point to try and give some advise but got the feeling that whatever I said they would agree to but no changes would be made, basically they just wanted a tortoise!

I have, since that conversation, decided that I dont want to sell to them and so have backed out, at the end of the day you can call the shots as you have the tortoise and they want it :grin:

lonelylayla
20-03-2014, 08:33 AM
He would make the perfect tortoise for someone that only wants to have 1 as a pet, the problem is that most people on here already have at least that.

You could advertise on Gumtree or Preloved but just be fussy about who you sell to. I had someone contact me about a hatchling yesterday and initially arranged for them to come round, then I asked about their setup and it was a viv with pellet substrate, they had bought tortoise pellets for its food and a 240w light?:shock: I phoned at this point to try and give some advise but got the feeling that whatever I said they would agree to but no changes would be made, basically they just wanted a tortoise!

I have, since that conversation, decided that I dont want to sell to them and so have backed out, at the end of the day you can call the shots as you have the tortoise and they want it :grin:

Totally agree :grin::grin:

Catwoman63
20-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Thankyou Alison, i don't really want to put him on pre loved or gum tree as I won't know the people, but I might have to think about it though, might have to do it sooner rather than later as he is biting Roxy, and what with Astraia now being male I've got to seperate Athena from him so its making more room....the trials of tortoise owning....why can't males just behave aye then all would be ok x

alley cat
20-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Thankyou Alison, i don't really want to put him on pre loved or gum tree as I won't know the people, but I might have to think about it though, might have to do it sooner rather than later as he is biting Roxy, and what with Astraia now being male I've got to seperate Athena from him so its making more room....the trials of tortoise owning....why can't males just behave aye then all would be ok x

I know what you mean about not knowing the people and those sites have gained a bad reputation on SW however, I have bought several of my torts through them and I consider myself a to be a responsible owner who aims to provide the best I can for them (others may not agree :grin:)
It is a case of asking the prospective buyer to provide information about how they intend to house and feed him and if you dont like what you hear you wait for the next buyer or work with them to give advise.
So far with my hatchling sales people have been really open to recieve help with the setup and I always point them to SW and TTTable.
Anyway good luck whatever you decide x

Catwoman63
20-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Actually Alison, I took a look on preloved this morning and there is a tortoise rescue in ashford Kent, they have a Facebook page as well, I responded to the advert and they responded back quite quickly, they keep and rehome horsfields, amongst other species, they have pictures of their other rescues, so might be a bit of luck, fingers crossed x

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 12:09 PM
After a couple of dubious enquiries about Tyler, I have now found him a lovely home in the countryside in Kent, the new owner already keeps various mediteranean species and is a member of the tortoise trust, he will be going to his new home on Sunday morning, before he takes a rescued sulcata to a zoo.

I feel a bit more comfortable in rehoming him now :) x

becciwales
24-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Aww that's great news Bev!! :-) xx

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks Becci, will be very sad to see him go but as long as I know he will be well cared for I would be much happier letting him go, I'm taking him Sunday morning and going to see the new owners set ups x

lonelylayla
24-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Aw, glad it's worked out for you and Tyler :D You have done your very best for him :razz:

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks Lynne, I feel a lot better about it, how are things regarding your boys? X

lonelylayla
24-03-2014, 01:24 PM
:sad::sad: Had one prospective buyer, desperate, too desperate :lol: After further quizzing, turned out she was going to house him in with her 2 year old Herman :shock::shock: Just not happening :lol:

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 01:36 PM
I wasn't happy with enquirers I had either Lynne, it just didn't sound right, so wasn't entirely happy to rehome him with them. I hope you do find good new homes for your 2 boys Lynne, ill keep a look out as well for you x

alley cat
24-03-2014, 02:00 PM
After a couple of dubious enquiries about Tyler, I have now found him a lovely home in the countryside in Kent, the new owner already keeps various mediteranean species and is a member of the tortoise trust, he will be going to his new home on Sunday morning, before he takes a rescued sulcata to a zoo.

I feel a bit more comfortable in rehoming him now :) x

That is good news Bev :D is this through the rescue place that you enquired about? will they keep him or rehome him?

Rosey-Bear
24-03-2014, 02:03 PM
It was just a shame I already have a tort promised to me as I would have happily had him. Glad to hear you have found a home for him though. :)

emma_mcraf
24-03-2014, 02:07 PM
So relieved that you've found him a good home Bev. I know it'll be hard to see him go, but at least you can be content that he's being well cared for and well loved.

becciwales
24-03-2014, 02:34 PM
You've got to be happy haven't you?

Fingers crossed for you too Lynne xx

Suze65
24-03-2014, 02:46 PM
So pleased for you Bev , sounds like a really good home. I know it must be very hard for you. But it's sounds good.

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 02:50 PM
That is good news Bev :D is this through the rescue place that you enquired about? will they keep him or rehome him?

Yes they are a rescue as well as keep their own, they also nurse sick tortoises back to full health, they will keep Tyler as they have horsfields already, and if they need to rehome any they vet the prospective homes before rehoming. They have lovely grounds and can accommodate a lot of tortoises.

Far, far better than some of the enquiries I have had,, where one didn't have a garden, never kept tortoises before and had a spare viv for him and wanted to meet me at the nearest bus stop to him and when i asked for his number never offered it. Although he may well have looked after him, and I shouldn't judge anyone, I wanted Tyler to go to a home where he can live outdoors with a heated shed as this is how he has been living x

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 02:53 PM
It was just a shame I already have a tort promised to me as I would have happily had him. Glad to hear you have found a home for him though. :)

That's ok, thankyou for saying :) you live in the south east too :) x

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 02:54 PM
So relieved that you've found him a good home Bev. I know it'll be hard to see him go, but at least you can be content that he's being well cared for and well loved.

Yes I do believe he will be well care cared for Emma, they also have a live webcam so I can watch the tortoises :) x

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 02:54 PM
You've got to be happy haven't you?

Fingers crossed for you too Lynne xx

Happier than I was Becci that's for sure x

becciwales
24-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Happier than I was Becci that's for sure x

That's great :-)

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 02:57 PM
So pleased for you Bev , sounds like a really good home. I know it must be very hard for you. But it's sounds good.

It is very hard suze, when Ari went to France with a couple of friends of mine, I cried badly for a few days, its awful thing to do, I get so attached to my animals, and I can feel myself welling up over tyler just thinking about it x

Rosey-Bear
24-03-2014, 02:58 PM
That's ok, thankyou for saying :) you live in the south east too :) x

Yeah, sunny Eastbourne. :)

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Yeah, sunny Eastbourne. :)

Oh how lovely :) x

becciwales
24-03-2014, 03:06 PM
It is very hard suze, when Ari went to France with a couple of friends of mine, I cried badly for a few days, its awful thing to do, I get so attached to my animals, and I can feel myself welling up over tyler just thinking about it x

Aww Bev, it is hard! But at least you know they're going/gone to good homes! xx

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Aww Bev, it is hard! But at least you know they're going/gone to good homes! xx

Soppy mare ain't I lol, wish I was a little more hard hearted, but when it comes to my animals I'm soft as marshmallow x

emma_mcraf
24-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Yes I do believe he will be well care cared for Emma, they also have a live webcam so I can watch the tortoises :) x

Brilliant. When you are missing him, especially for the first couple of days, you can spot him on the webcam. :)

burnt toast
24-03-2014, 04:33 PM
That's great news Bev :)

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Brilliant. When you are missing him, especially for the first couple of days, you can spot him on the webcam. :)

That's very true Emma, although I'd be even sadder to see him :( x

Catwoman63
24-03-2014, 04:36 PM
That's great news Bev :)

Thankyou Lynne :) x

emma_mcraf
24-03-2014, 04:45 PM
That's very true Emma, although I'd be even sadder to see him :( x

I know what you mean, but at least you have the option should you want to. x