PDA

View Full Version : substrate ideas??

lozzy2k1
14-04-2013, 11:09 AM
i have 4 torts each in their own home. i have tried a variety of substrates including tortoise life, soil/sand seperate and mixed, chippings, aspen, now they are a little older i tried sand on its own again as aspen and chippings dont soak wee up! it worked a little better tis time and they seem to quite like it but i would like to give them more variety. i currently have some play sand, some soil and some slates and thinking of getting some rocks ad ive read that you can use them coco block things and also heard people use moss but what sort of moss is it the one they sell in reptile shops? also would plants grow in thier home. i have leopard, marginated and 2 turkish spur thigh? i just dont know which to use and what to be where (warm or cold side? also i usually put paper down before the sub should i bother though? any other ideasill be greatful of. Also my leopard and one of my turks are always scrounging for food how many dandilions wopuld you say are appropraite they are 5 and 6 years old ( the leo is a guess as we rescued him) thanks you

lozzy2k1
14-04-2013, 11:16 AM
also what hay can i use? can i use the one i buy for my bunnies if i cut it up?

Taszia
14-04-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't like hay gives them itchy eyes may not be the same for all but I can't use it with mine. If its just for a bedding variety ? ... I use co co coir for mines bedding they love it :)

Suze65
14-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I can only speak about the Marginated and the spur thigh, I would ditch the sand and any hay, you can use coco coir or top soil or as I have done a mix of the two across the whole table you don't need bedding, they will dig down in this substrate, and then add your small rocks , stones or pebbles for an more interesting habitat, and also hides. Edible plants are likely to be eaten, so can be a waste of time. You could put in other plants for hiding under, like grasses, spider plants.

Emilyjayne2012
15-04-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm the same as Taszia I use coco coir in the hide and my two love it. I've only had it in there a few days but they love burrowing in it which they can't really do so easily in some of the other substrates. I use tortoise life substrate in the rest of my table.

Pussygalore
16-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Dandelions are a mild diuretic and should never be the main/only leaf fed you need to find around 5 different plants a day for a green only diet, have you thought about trying the Pre Alpine cobs, they are ideal for a high fiber diet and are fed soaked. This is the link to where you can buy and read about them http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page7.htm