PDA

View Full Version : How to measure SCL?

DAISY
10-06-2007, 10:54 AM
How am i supposed to measure my tortoise?
At what age does a horsfield stop growing (i pressume they do stop)and once they have stopped should their weight stay constant.
thanks
Rach

Henry-flash
10-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Heres a measuring guide I did a while back

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g206/Henry_flash/measuring.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g206/Henry_flash/measuring1.jpg

sandy
10-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Horsfields are not to be measured against the Jackson ratio, as this is for med torts,
hermans ibera and graecas.
I do know someone on TF did put in some horsfield measurements from lots of different
horsfield keepers, and made a ratio for a guide.

nina
10-06-2007, 06:00 PM
There's a guide called the McIntyre Ratio for Horsfields on the Tortoisefriends forum in the files section (this is useful, but I think it was drawn up on the basis of only 30 or 40 sets of statistics from members). There is also the guide that the RussianTortoise people in the States use: it's - in centimetres - (scl length x height x width) x .57 = weight in grams. I think all these things - Jackson Ratio included - are just meant to be rough guides though, not to be followed to the letter.

DAISY
12-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the help.will give it a go.
Rach

bernards mom
20-08-2007, 05:45 PM
i have just measured my leopard using the guide above. how do i no if its a good size or not and what about weight? is there a healthy average weight ?

terrypin
16-08-2008, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=bernards mom;92705]i have just measured my leopard using the guide above. how do i no if its a good size or not and what about weight? is there a healthy average weight

hi if you post the scl and weight i can tell if i have records of one of mine at that size.they have daily access outdoors throughout the year from about 150mm and certainly appear healthy and active.
terry

karibum
17-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Haha! My torts are little rascals, they don't let me push them til their heads are in their shells, they fight really hard with their legs!!! I had to buy a caliper guage to measure mine, so much easier!!!!!

lozzy2k1
18-05-2009, 02:53 PM
ok which is the carpace i get confused? so where abouts do i class as the end of carpace as my leos a boy and part of it goes into a v shape? x

Alan1
18-05-2009, 03:25 PM
If you put the tort head first against the skirting board (not upside down or owt) or wall or anything vertical it will put it's head inside it's shell, then at the other end put a block of wood or something similar up against it's rear end, mark to the inside of the block of wood, take the wood and tort out the way and measure the distance from the skirting board to the mark

DoodleBopper
18-05-2009, 05:16 PM
How does everyone achieve this?? When ever I try and push Dylan up against the wall he just pushes his head and legs hard against the wall and I feel mean trying to push them in lol. Does anyone else have this problem?

Lolly8
19-05-2009, 01:52 AM
How does everyone achieve this?? When ever I try and push Dylan up against the wall he just pushes his head and legs hard against the wall and I feel mean trying to push them in lol. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have.Never get his shell against the wall.He pushes back with his head and front legs so hard that there is no chance...:lol:

Alan1
19-05-2009, 10:18 AM

I do it when they are asleep, before they know what's going on :D

DoodleBopper
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Ooo good idea I will try that next time!! Thanks :)

Aigi
18-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I have.Never get his shell against the wall.He pushes back with his head and front legs so hard that there is no chance...:lol:

same here! they push really hard against you and cause mine are still small i dn't want to hurt them......

lolololol......the slping thing might be worth a try! (disturbing their slp once a month won't be stressful for them right?)

Lolly8
18-08-2009, 10:37 PM
same here! they push really hard against you and cause mine are still small i dn't want to hurt them......

lolololol......the slping thing might be worth a try! (disturbing their slp once a month won't be stressful for them right?)

Nope.I've done it now while he's sleeping.I'm not stressed,he's not stressed.Much better this way.:lol:

locker18
01-12-2009, 10:48 AM
I got my two Hermans on Saturday. They are seventeen months old. I weighed and measured them last night and checked the Jackson Ratio this morning and they are both overweight! So do I cut down what food I am giving them or see how they are in a months time when they have settled in to see whether it is the amount I am feeding them that is wrong or whether it is what they were fed by their previous owner that was wrong?

Kim x

Colette
10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
thanks for the info here once again

i have measured my torts - (only read the advice about measuring while asleep after the event!!!) altho they both are the same length - 91mm - aristotle is 22 grams heavier than plato (151g and 129g respectively)- and they hatched on the same day! - from how i am understanding the jackson graph one is average and the other half way between average and low

can anyone please expain how to plot this on a graph using excel so i can keep a record? - i have tried but am failing miserable - :sad: