PDA

View Full Version : Male/Female?!?

jo__
09-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone,
Just wondered if anyone has any ideas if my hermann zee is male or female? He has a scl of 9cm, so I know he is small to sex still but im desperate to find out!! :) :)
Heres a couple of pics....

http://upload8.postimage.org/267306/Zee001.jpg (http://upload8.postimage.org/267306/photo_hosting.html)

http://upload8.postimage.org/267317/Zee002.jpg (http://upload8.postimage.org/267317/photo_hosting.html)

Let me know if i need to make the pics any smaller, they took a while to upload so im hoping they're not too big :)

Thanks

Jo x

Blaze
09-05-2007, 04:24 PM
ooo much to young to sex. If I had to guess i'd say maybe female. Though as I said far too early to tell! :D

egyptiandan64
09-05-2007, 04:31 PM
You have a female Jo :D

Danny

kelly123
09-05-2007, 04:46 PM
you got a female

regards kelly :)

jo__
09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Woohoo thanks all :) :) Fingers crossed my other is female also, he/she is the same age but only 7.5cm. My adult male will one day be a very happy chappie lol
Jo x

wizzasmum
09-05-2007, 07:25 PM
No offence Dan but how is that when all major tort organisations say this is too young to sex you boldly state a definite ID? Do you know something that others do not? <g>

Blaze
09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I think this one was down to common sense, the tail is small and tucked in. Thats what i went by. I supose when you own over 100 tortoises like Danny these things just become second nature! :D

wizzasmum
09-05-2007, 09:44 PM
With respect Zoe , 'owning 'over 100 torts does not make sexing them second nature. I think the Tortoise Trust have handled and researched a fair few more than that. They will also have seen a fair few wrong diagnoses
:lol:

Blaze
09-05-2007, 09:50 PM
oh i'm sure they do! at the end of the day some times all it is, is a 50 / 50 chance of getting it right, or indeed wrong. :p All I was saying was with you many torts a guy has to pick up a tip or two! :D

I think it would only become a problem if someone was to go out and buy another tortoises.. say to give breeding a go and ended up with 2 same sex torts. But, Hopefully the owners have more sense than to dive into buying more torts with out a vets opinion etc. :D

egyptiandan64
09-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi Sue,
You make a very valid point :D How do I know :shock: Here's my resume :D
I have been keeping tortoises for 30 years and turtles for 43 years. With all the ones I've kept over the years and the literally 10's of thousands I have personally seen and the thousands upon thousands of pictures I have seen. I do believe I have the experience to sex most tortoises, even at a smaller size.
Tortoises are my passion and I study, learn and read all I can about them.

Danny

wizzasmum
09-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi Sue,
You make a very valid point :D How do I know :shock: Here's my resume :D
I have been keeping tortoises for 30 years and turtles for 43 years. With all the ones I've kept over the years and the literally 10's of thousands I have personally seen and the thousands upon thousands of pictures I have seen. I do believe I have the experience to sex most tortoises, even at a smaller size.
Tortoises are my passion and I study, learn and read all I can about them.

Danny

Tortoises are my passion too Dan but I would not be too happy stating those numbers. My own are all rescues apart from Wizza (purchased on last year of UK imports in '84) and the ones I have bred. Tens of thousands of torts? That leads me to feel a little concerned s to where they came from :( I have no doubt tht you have lots of experience but I still feel you make very bold claims. We never see you on Tortoise Trust or similar forums. I am sure such organisations would be pleased to 'learn' from your experiences. I mean, if someone as miraculously found a way to sex tiny torts then surely you would want to share that info! :wink:

egyptiandan64
09-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Sue I can not sex tiny tortoises :shock: I can sex most of the smaller species in the 3 to 4 inch range. There are others that take till they are much bigger to sex.
Not sure why I shouldn't be stating those numbers. They were here and I saw them. Yes Sue most of them did come from the wild, sad to say :( I'm glad yours are all rescues :D
I try not to spread myself to thin Sue :wink: . So if you want to send more people to this great forum and have them join. I'd love to sex their tortoises for them. I'd be more then happy to do that :D
I like you Sue :D almost as much as I like Ed :D :D

Danny