PDA

View Full Version : New Turtle

Graham
17-04-2007, 06:49 PM
My "new" Red Belly rehomer arrived today by reptile taxi, she's really nice, about the same size as Passion just a fraction bigger. She's in a tank for a few days so I can keep an eye on her, make sure she's all OK before she goes outdoors into a temporary quarantine tank for a couple of months before joining Passion in her pond.
I guess her previous owner has kept her in hard tap water because she has limescale all over her shell, I've tried to remove it with fresh water and a toothbrush but it just won't shift, wonder if anyone knows what can safely be used to get it off? Or do I just have to wait for her to shed the affected scutes? I was thinking vinegar or lemon juice may be OK but I don't want to try it unless someone can confirm it's safe, or suggest a better alternative.

leggy
17-04-2007, 07:40 PM
hi graham good luck with the turtle,check out the man at work thread for progress on our pond .

egyptiandan64
20-04-2007, 09:47 PM
When the scutes slough off the lime stains will go with them Graham :D

Danny

Graham
20-04-2007, 10:09 PM
That's what I thought Danny. I've been looking a little more carefully at her shell (didn't want to handle her too much in the first few days) and it looks like there's some light pitting too, evidence of shell rot maybe? If it is then it's gone now and just the pitting remains, so that should go too when she sheds.
She's eating well and is quite bold, still trying to work out what she will and won't eat, Duckweed is an obvious favourite as she wolfs it down, and she has a nibble at dried shrimp but will hardly touch pellets. I know adult Red Bellies are basically veggies so I'll have to try her on a variety of plants, I'll get some watercress tomorrow and see if she likes that.

Graham
03-05-2007, 01:41 PM
My "new" Red belly is making excellent progress, now eating really well and totally unfussy, she's now spending most of her time in a specially constructed temporary outdoor pond.
And last night I had some really great news, on Saturday I will be acquiring another Southern Painted Turtle to accompany Passion, and the best thing is it's an adult male! I've been looking for another SPT for 2 or 3 years but no luck, and now this which is even better than I had hoped for, with an adult male and female who knows they may even breed!
His current owner is only asking a nominal fee as he's more interested in her going to a good home, apparently there's been quite a bit of interest as SPTs are hard to find, what swung his decision in my favour was the fact that I have a decent size outdoor pond and that I already have an adult female. I think I may have come across as rather enthusiastic too, as I frantically emailed him and phoned just minutes after he gave me his number! I'll be driving to Tamworth on Saturday morning to collect.
I've also been promised another adult female, who is currently with a rescue centre in the midlands being treated for a very soft shell, I've been told I can have her as soon as she's fully recovered so I should have a group of three eventually.

aprillinda
03-05-2007, 03:26 PM
great news graham :D

get your camera out :lol: please :D

niamherrity
03-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Thats great news im sure your garden is beautiful this time if the year with them out in their pond :D

Please take pics :D

Graham
03-05-2007, 06:28 PM
As soon as he's here I'll take some photos and post them.