PDA

View Full Version : Komodo bulbs any good ?

iona_tortoise
17-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Has anyone tried komodo bulbs i normaly buy arcadia but never seen these before
http://www.internetreptile.com/komodo-uv-sun-120w-45790-4694-p.asp

nooddle
17-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I have never used komodo bulbs. I use arcadia and they have been very good and long lasting. They are also much cheaper can that komodo one.

Gordon
17-05-2012, 05:06 PM
I tried one last year and it did,nt last long two months and blew so i took it back:x:x

Arcadiajohn
17-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Goodness it is very expensive! You can get ours for under £40.00

No sour grapes from me, please check all lamps with Frances at UVGuide before investing. There was the same kind of issue with these as was apparent with another well known brand from the states. Maybe it's been fixed? I simply don't know but Frances will!

John

Ozric Jonathan
17-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I haven't tried one of those but it's hard to see how it could be worth the extra cash.

yuna1971
18-05-2012, 03:29 PM
I thought there was a particular part that was made by the same people who did the Mega Ray bulbs...(maybe Jo or Dazza can correct me if wrong) - Westron if memory serves?? I remember reading about the Komodo bulbs (combineds) and thought at the time, these must be good. But this was just before MR's had their duff period and I think it put me off buying them. Whether they are still duff, I dont know...
But I think people have moved away from these anyway and mainly buy the Arcadia D3 bulbs now...:)xx

Alan1
18-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I think Kirkie maybe had one.. or was it the halide one made by them maybe?

kreacher
19-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Komodo bulbs are RUBBISH!
We used them for two months with our zoo...we ended up with two blown in the first three days, followed by several in the next few weeks and one shattered in to a million little pieces causing so much damage to my baby boa that he ended up in the vets for two weeks! They are the only make of bulb we've ever had actually shatter, I will never use them again

yuna1971
21-05-2012, 12:44 PM
In the beginning and taken at face value - (before Arcadia entered into the mix) the Komodo combineds were considered good in terms of the UVdecay...but I think there was something that hurt them - Im sure it was the Westron made part they had in them at the time (maybe still do). But I do remember reviews being good at the time...:neutral: But its like them all ...its playing 'Lucky Dip' where combined bulbs are concerned. Unless you have a solar meter then you cant really ever be sure that any make is throwing out acceptable levels and has a good spread (from the moment you put it to use)... and decay rate. :)xx