PDA

View Full Version : UV light sources and measurements

romski
05-03-2012, 11:34 PM
There have been many posts on this subject and I apologies for starting another.

I also apologies for adding a link
http://terrapin-info.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2084

I hope this goes some way to explaining my clumsy posts on the subject before.

The UVI numbers have been based on many readings taken locally whilst animals were actually sunbathing. This includes lizards and snakes. This is not the same as readings taken when the sun is at its max. The work recently covered by Highfield in the TT magasine has numbers that seem to align.

We all agree I hope that we dont know what they need clinically. This methods at least allows us to deliver UV that approximates to what they receive in life.

Rom

Ozric Jonathan
05-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for that Rom it was really useful!

Like you I think that as we don't know for sure what need these animals have for uvb, we can do no better than try to offer some options of heat and uvb that resemble at least in part what goes on in nature.

I can confirm from my own clumsy tests that if you wish to cover a wider area with uvb then the vitalux is very useful. This lamp also produces useful heat and in larger set-ups is worth considering. I use mine when I am at home just to be sure on safety grounds.

Geomyda
06-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks for that Rom it was really useful!

Like you I think that as we don't know for sure what need these animals have for uvb, we can do no better than try to offer some options of heat and uvb that resemble at least in part what goes on in nature.

I can confirm from my own clumsy tests that if you wish to cover a wider area with uvb then the vitalux is very useful. This lamp also produces useful heat and in larger set-ups is worth considering. I use mine when I am at home just to be sure on safety grounds.
The presentation given by Francis Baines at the conference was simply brilliant, and clearly demonstrates all aspects of environmental lighting in captive husbandry. Her brief lesson given in physiology of animals, especially Chelonia to the life giving properties of natural sunlight and it's substitutes in captivity gave us all a very good education in this fascinating subject!
The video link made by Rom should become a "sticky", and should be referred to by all Forum members too.:)

ClareandCo
06-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Excellent - thank you Rom for doing this. This video and Frances's talk are both extremely informative and helpful.

romski
06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for your responses. I was concerned that many just would not "get it"

Its a hugely complex subject that is hard to convey, I am hanging off the lady's shirt tails as it were.

In her talk Frances also made the point that the D3 element is only part of the story. She did not have time to talk about other light elements such as UVa.

UV also services many other body functions and good available uv changes mediocre egg hatching rates to very good ones -as the egg forms it seems to provide a better start in life for the hatchling.

Rom

Arcadiajohn
06-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi Rom,

You hit the nail on the head! UVA and UVB both play a huge role in how reptiles, birds and amphibs live. The D3 cycle although vital to all living things is only a fraction of the reason that reptiles use sunlight. In the next 5 years I guarantee many of us will be looking at how we keep reptiles now and will be shaking our heads! We are finding out so much, so quickly now that animals can only benefit in the long run.

Great bit of work by you both!

John

Thanks for your responses. I was concerned that many just would not "get it"

Its a hugely complex subject that is hard to convey, I am hanging off the lady's shirt tails as it were.

In her talk Frances also made the point that the D3 element is only part of the story. She did not have time to talk about other light elements such as UVa.

UV also services many other body functions and good available uv changes mediocre egg hatching rates to very good ones -as the egg forms it seems to provide a better start in life for the hatchling.

Rom

romski
06-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Just sorry we have not yet met.

You keep hinting about new products.....

Rom

EJ
06-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Rather than start yet another thread I thought I'd just add to this.

I know this has been posted here before but I couldn't find it handy on SW... http://www.uvguide.co.uk/aboutus.htm It is most important to check out the reference section.

There was a thread a ways back by a person who constructed a multiplatform table for Pancake Tortoises. The person designed it in such a manner that the heating was seperate from the UV section. The person was criticised for this arangement. Wouldn't that be giving the tortoise the greatest option of choices?

romski
06-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks Ed. I meant to post the UV site link but clicked before the grey matter kicked in.

I still am convinced that many still really dont appreciate what effect the rays from the sun have upon animals.
I think we are at the same stage where in the 1700s sailors were getting scurvy. They spotted that fresh Lime juice resolved the illness but not knowing why except it was dietary. Now we know that there is a whole lot more to know about a balanced diet, vitamins, fats, carbohydrates and proteins etc..

So it is with reptiles and light, UVb might be the metaphorical lemon.

Some useful work was also done in the margins . We had a very useful update from Marco Zuffi on the situation in Carapax but now is not the time to cover it.

Rom

EJ
06-03-2012, 06:23 PM
It's frustrating to read all this when in 1999 I made mention of using a mercury vapor lamp (dragon lamp) on tortoises and seeing a marked increase in the tortoise activity. This was dismissed as nonsense and there was no known benefit for the use of these bulbs in tortoise care.

Needless to say the conversation has got me looking into sources in the US. I discovered an interesting note while searching for information in the ballast topic that came up on the new UVB bulbs in the UK.

Thanks Ed. I meant to post the UV site link but clicked before the grey matter kicked in.

I still am convinced that many still really dont appreciate what effect the rays from the sun have upon animals.
I think we are at the same stage where in the 1700s sailors were getting scurvy. They spotted that fresh Lime juice resolved the illness but not knowing why except it was dietary. Now we know that there is a whole lot more to know about a balanced diet, vitamins, fats, carbohydrates and proteins etc..

So it is with reptiles and light, UVb might be the metaphorical lemon.

Some useful work was also done in the margins . We had a very useful update from Marco Zuffi on the situation in Carapax but now is not the time to cover it.

Rom

Catwoman63
07-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Helo very informative video thankyou, i use the zoo med mercury vapour combined uvb and heat lamp and reflector 100w, it doesnt give information on the uvb output, have you any information on those? Thanks

romski
07-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Have a look at the UVGuide website it may be there. I know Frances is updating the site to add latest tests and thinking.

Not all manufacturers show the output results in a clear way. Some show output in microwatts per square centimetre. (uw/sqcm) as would be measured by a 6.2 meter.

Conversion from uw/sq.cm. as measured by a 6.2 . to UVb is not linear as it is impacted by location and sun angle for the sun and is impacted even more by the spectral output variation between lamp phosphors.

So a measurement of a lamp for a given power output connot be co-related to the sun radiation in a like for like measurement. Every lamp has a different conversion factor.

Im sorry about the technical jargon couldnt find a way around it. The vids simplify it nicely.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Rom

romski
25-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Am in nice placein Indiana.
Spent whole day turtling. Fab

Outside temp was high 80s.
Shade reading was 0.5 uvi
Open reading was 3.5 at 1100 and 5.5 at 1300.
Very humid.

Boxes out sunning in shade.

Notes when I get back.
Rom

Arcadiajohn
25-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Sounds great rom!

John

Very humid.

Notes when I get back.
Rom

EJ
27-05-2012, 06:35 PM
What are you doing in Indiana?

Very humid.

Notes when I get back.
Rom