PDA

View Full Version : Heating Temperatures

TaylorWRP
23-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Do I let my temperatures drop at night time? I have noticed some saying not too and some saying yes to do it.

My Basking spot is 35/36C and my cooler end of the enclosure is 20/21C. Are these temperatures ok?

At night time I would generally turn my basking light off and UV light off because torts need to thermo.....whatever it is called (I forgot :lol: ) Should I leave them on or turn them off?

At night my temperatures drop to around 16-18C throughout the night time. Now I am confused as some have said they leave the temps going at night time. :confused:

RacingSnake
23-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure I would want 30+ temps overnight!!!
My night temps drop to 15 at the hot end.

TaylorWRP
23-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Generally my night time temps are 16-18C. Not sure if that is ok though....should I boom the basking spot at night or turn it off?

Anita Sayles
23-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Do I let my temperatures drop at night time?

At night my temperatures drop to around 16-18C throughout the night time. Now I am confused as some have said they leave the temps going at night time. :confused:

It's fine, only if you notice that your tortoise is much slower to wake/not waking do you need to provide over night heat.
For many temps in a house overnight are fine... let them drop and see how he/she goes.

shelmarie
23-02-2012, 08:58 PM
my night time temps are about 16-18 as well and both my little guys are fine.

tootsieroll61
23-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I turn all heat and ligting of well the timers do :) at night

TaylorWRP
24-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks all :)

Watermelon
24-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Same... all my lights are off at 9pm... room cools down to 18C approx.

Lisamn
24-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Me too. My heat and light go off at night. The torts seem fine with it.

TaylorWRP
24-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Missy wakes up before lights are even turned on lol! The timer is set to 8am every morning and I woke up at 7am and she was already waiting for food lol!

EJ
27-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Unless you are looking to set your tortoise up to hibernate I would not recommend any temperatures below 22 to 23C for night time temperatures.

I would suggest using a heat mat or ceramic heater with a rheostat in its sleeping quarters at night.

Do I let my temperatures drop at night time? I have noticed some saying not too and some saying yes to do it.

My Basking spot is 35/36C and my cooler end of the enclosure is 20/21C. Are these temperatures ok?

At night time I would generally turn my basking light off and UV light off because torts need to thermo.....whatever it is called (I forgot :lol: ) Should I leave them on or turn them off?

TaylorWRP
27-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks EJ :)

Unless you are looking to set your tortoise up to hibernate I would not recommend any temperatures below 22 to 23C for night time temperatures.

I would suggest using a heat mat or ceramic heater with a rheostat in its sleeping quarters at night.

Bindi
27-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I let my night time temps drop, and don't use any supplimentary heat at night for tort in the house. I have some in the conservatory but I have a heater in there to keep the temps about 18 degrees ( don't tell the OH)

The cooler they are overnight the longer they can take to get going in the morning

EJ
27-02-2012, 03:16 PM
This is why I recommend a higher night time temperature. The tortoise is a reptile that is totally dependent on warm temperatures to to get its motor going in the AM.

There are minimum and maximum temperatures but I try to shoot for ideal temperatures.

The cooler they are overnight the longer they can take to get going in the morning