PDA

View Full Version : UV light Poll

twisted_angel
18-09-2011, 10:03 AM
After reading the thread about uv lighting i just wondered how many if us do and dont use it !

pagan queen
18-09-2011, 11:24 AM
You will find most people do because they have been swept along with the tide and they were told it the right thing to do.
I don't use lights but I do supplement. Which I do with my parrots, and have done for 15 years, they are in the very best of health and they live inside all year round.

Helen M
18-09-2011, 11:47 AM
I rely on both the sun in the summer and lights in winter. To me the sun will always be the primary source of UVB for my tortoises. Which is why I'm not too fussed about replacing my bulbs until they blow and I only feed nutrobal every couple of weeks now.

Helen xx

alley cat
18-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't use it all year round but I do use it when the torts are inside (which is not often) so my answer would be occasionally, but there isn't an option for that :grin:

EJ
18-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I used them for 20 some odd years in one form or another. Mostly Mercury vapor in the last 10 years. It became too expensive so I went to supplementation for the tortoises indoors. Outdoor tortoises get sunshine 6 months out of the year now along with calcium carbonate.

After reading the thread about uv lighting i just wondered how many if us do and dont use it !

Neddy
18-09-2011, 07:23 PM
PQ sometimes you really do need to think about what you write.............I can assure you I have not been sweep along with the tide as you so kindly put it!!

This was a poll to just click yes all year round or no just rely on sun rays.

Not to insult people!

Alan1
18-09-2011, 07:35 PM
PQ sometimes you really do need to think about what you write.............I can assure you I have not been sweep along with the tide as you so kindly put it!!

Not to insult people!

:? I don't actually think she was insulting anyone, I don't feel insulted and I'm one of those who use them

Neddy
18-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Well we are all different Alan, and saying that people have been swept along with the tide is basically calling them naive and gullible.

I don't get offended often Alan but am getting a bit fed up with this flipping subject along with pellets and hibernation!

I think it's time for me to take a break from the site!

kreacher
18-09-2011, 07:43 PM
I have a musk turtle with me at the moment that has had no uv light at all since it hatched and his shell is perfectly smooth. It does make me question that as long as the diet is correct uv is not needed

pagan queen
18-09-2011, 08:06 PM
I am sorry if you have taken offence. I did say "most" and I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I just meant that when most people first start keeping torts, they research and find that UV lights are widely used or are sold them by the pet shop. There is hardly, if any, mention of just supplementing them as an alternative.

Not to insult people!

16 shells
18-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't think a straight yes or no can realy cover it. Yes i do use them, but don't rely on them as i first used to a few years ago. If my tort's were inside a lot i might use them more.
Starting about two summer's ago with Herman's and Leopards able to be outside with provided heat shelter's i don't provide much artificial uv but do lean towards more heat as in spot bulb's ect. Plus supplement's powdered occasionly, plus a good pellet with added B3.

Ozric Jonathan
18-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm another one that uses them when torts are indoors which is several months of the year. So I didn't see an option that looked right for me.

Nitwit
01-07-2012, 01:15 PM
hang on I supplement and light and rarely have my torts outside cause of neighborhood issues, so do I supplement or light. If I can get away with just supplementing it would make like alot easier.

EJ
02-07-2012, 03:18 PM
I know for a fact you can get away with one or the other.

It's like drinking fortified milk. The caution is to not over supplement.

hang on I supplement and light and rarely have my torts outside cause of neighborhood issues, so do I supplement or light. If I can get away with just supplementing it would make like alot easier.

Alan1
02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
hang on I supplement and light and rarely have my torts outside cause of neighborhood issues, so do I supplement or light

Well unless you have a solarmeter the answer can't be UV alone since the bulbs are sometimes duds