PDA

View Full Version : types of torts

DERVLA
20-02-2007, 10:08 AM
what type of torts are the easiet to look after
[/i]

sarah
20-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I find that my red foots are the easiest to look after as their diet can consist of fruit which makes it easier in the winter months. But they do require a larger tortoise table.

Alex
20-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I personally would say horsfields, they also have great personalities :D

DERVLA
20-02-2007, 01:18 PM
My tort eats weeds manily we've tried apple but she whouldnt eat it shes so fussy. :roll: :D :D :!:

aprillinda
20-02-2007, 01:54 PM
hi dervla :D

only give your tort weeds and he will live a very healthy life

apple is a fruit

fruit is for the redfoots because redfoots can eat fruit like they do in the wild

sarah
20-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Yes only tropical tortoises such as red foots and yellow foots can eat fruit as this is what they would come across in the wild.

DERVLA
20-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Ohhh hat makes sense thanks :D :D :D we also tried to give her alovira (the plant)

niamherrity
20-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Thats aloe vera dervla :lol: :lol: we gave her apple when we first got henny under pet shop advice she has not got it since. She got aloe vera once as a treat and hated it :D

DERVLA
20-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Sorry i forgot to metion that :D :D [/b]opps

Eire_Ade
20-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Dervla,

I keep iberas like you have, I have 4 of them, and 1 golden greek which is also another spur thigh. I find them easy to look after.

Med species of tortoises are my favourites.

Ade :wink:

Cara jade
21-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi i like horsfields the best .
Cara xxx

andrea
21-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Might as well join in here :D

I'm a beginner and looking to buy a tortoise that sadly will be kept mostly indoors, since I live in a flat. Which breed is best for me / best for the tortoise under those conditions? I keep getting different advice.

imported_Lowe
21-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Might as well join in here :D

I'm a beginner and looking to buy a tortoise that sadly will be kept mostly indoors, since I live in a flat. Which breed is best for me / best for the tortoise under those conditions? I keep getting different advice.

My honest advice is that if you can't offer an outside enclosure then a tortoise really isn't the pet for you. :(

Henry-flash
21-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Sadly I have to agree with Andy, torts need an outdoor area. Its just not fair to keep them indoors year round.
I like marinata and graeca graeca. Having said that ibera, horsfields and hermanns are great too :? OK fine I'm undecided <g>

Eire_Ade
21-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Andrea, tortoises thrive on sunlight, even when it is a cloudy day, the UV which a tortoise gets is far better than anything we can reproduce inside our homes.

UV doesn't penetrate through ordinary window glass, so you have to provide a suitable source of UV by means of a high rated UV tube or a mecury vapour lamp like the active UV flood lamp.

They all thrive on outdoor living to be perfectly honest, so unless you have a way of letting them out regularly then really they arent the best pet to keep.

andrea
21-02-2007, 11:23 PM
I have a garden, but it's communal, which means that the tortoise couldn't be out there unless constantly accompanied.

Eire_Ade
21-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Andrea, if you can get out in the comunal garden as much as possible then this will be ok, its amazing what a difference a few hours makes, and make sure you give the best UV indoors you can.

DERVLA
22-02-2007, 09:31 AM
i love my ibera and there easy enough to keep i supose but she loves the sun every time the suns shining she scales the wall to sun bath :lol: :lol: :D :D