PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Tortoise - good home needed.

joekent
06-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Ive been approached by somebody to help rehome their leopard tortoise.. details are vague but its kept in a Vivarium, has no access to outside space and has an unsupplemented diet = early stages of MBD?
I only keep med's and dont want Leopards therefore I am looking for a new home for this guy/girl. I believe its between 5-8 years old but im unsure of sex. This tort maybe not be up for rehoming for another 4-6 weeks yet but im just testing the water with the good owners on SW to find if there is anyone in the Kent area willing to give a bumpy leopard a very special home =)
I will want details and photos of the enviroment you would offer him/her and might even want to visit. Id also like update emails.
I will be not expecting any money for this tort, just a very loving home. I will however ask for a donation to a local reptile rescue sanctuary as they do a lot of good work for unwanted reptiles and rely on peoples generosity. Unfortunately reptiles are getting more popular which means more and more are being dumped so i feel very strongly about supporting animal charities.

Anyway im babbling.. If you are interested please PM me!

joekent
07-04-2009, 12:01 AM
:| Just realised ive posted this in the rehoming thread.. Sorry Mods i got carried away! Please move it for me. Thanks very much

anna m
07-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Good luck with this

Evie
09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I would love to have more but OH has drawn the line at 4 - I guess he's right when he says I need to think long term - I hope you find someone that can give him a nice life with lots of fresh air and lovely weeds.

joekent
10-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks a lot Evie :)

alotoffluff
11-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Im only down the road from you, and know Bromley well.
I am after a re-homer but would have to do some reading up on leopards as i only have an TGI.
The tortie sounds lovely!

Mrs Frog
11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
You would be great to home this tort Laura

alicia
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
i agree with jackie
you would be great laura

xx

alotoffluff
11-04-2009, 08:34 PM
i have read up on leopards, and although their husbandry is similiar to the tort i have, i now understand they are a non hibernating species, they like the heat and do retain their heat whilst basking outside, and they like to graze on grass and like foilage.
I am at the moment putting together a raised flowerbed, complete with tortie house which i believe would be ideal for this type of tortoise.
So, Joekent, please bear me in mind if you still require a home for this tort in 4-6 weeks.
Thanks Jackie and Alicia for your support! XX

Mrs Frog
11-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I think if you are looking for a home for this tortoise I think Laura would give it a wonderful home,you can tell that she loves Fluffy so so much and you would be able to visit and Know that it is being well looked after.Laura is like me if she cant find the information she needs she will come straight on here and ask for advice.I hope that you will be able to consider Laura Joekent :D

Tortoise Kid
11-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Laura is the perfect owner
please choose her
you should check pics of fluffly
and his enclosure
great tortoise keeper

joekent
11-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for your comments, Laura is obviously very popular!!
I have PMed her :) If someone understands the costs and care and space involved with a leopard then i will def chat to them further about giving this one a second chance. Its also nice to know of more people to consider for future rehoming if im approached too!

joekent
11-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks Vicky, yes she has contacted me and sent me photos but to be fair im talking to anyone that is interested :)

sammkins
12-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi yes i would be interested - i currently have horsfields and am really enjoying keeping them, i would have to look more into how to keep a leopard as only know about red foots, hermanns and horsfields, but i live in coulsdon so not too far from you - sorry dont want to step on anyone elses toes!! lol - i have alot of space and can build whatever he needs- i dont mind spending money on giving the care he needs. Can you tell me a bit more about him/her (cant remember what sex tort is) thanks

I have added some pics on my album of my current tortoises outside and indoor enclosures. I have an idea of where to keep Mr/Miss Leopard, indoors and outside - so he /she will have the best of both worlds. Wouldnt be mixed with mine either.

Anyway anymore info about the tort let me know thanks, Sam

joekent
12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Sorry sammkins but ive seen you posted about selling tortoises and i want to be sure this is going to a forever home

sammkins
12-04-2009, 09:10 PM
yes i sold 2 for my brother to lovely people, and the rest ive decided to keep as iv got really attached to them. It would be going to a forever home - my home. Ive done my research and i would be happy to take him on, i wouldnt dream of selling him/her sounds like tort has been through enough and i know he would be safe and happy with me.

sky
13-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Laura, hope your lucky in getting a new tort!!!!!!!!!

alotoffluff
14-04-2009, 10:30 AM
I dont think i will be. There are so many people on here who have more experience with leopards and have better gardens etc. I want the tort to go to the best home obviously and i think there are more suitable people than me! :-(
I wouldve loved it, and i would have researched and asked questions on here etc but im sure there are more suitable people for it.
Whatever Joe decides, it will be the best for the lovely tortoise..
And im sure he will bear me in mind if he gets another re-homer.

Tortoise Kid
14-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Have you Rehomed The Tort
To Alotastuff?

Mrs Frog
14-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Laura I think you would be perfect :p

joekent
14-04-2009, 12:16 PM
No i havnt rehomed the tortoise yet.

alotoffluff
14-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Im sure Joekent will give the tort to the best possible person - after all he onlt has the torts best interests at heart. :-)
But thanks guys for all your lovely comments and support! I will get a re-homer soon, (or maybe i will buy one ;-).)

joekent
14-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks very much alotoffluff.. Ill be in contact with people that have PMed me when i have more details but it many not be for many weeks

lindso3000
14-04-2009, 06:30 PM
I dont think i will be. There are so many people on here who have more experience with leopards and have better gardens etc. I want the tort to go to the best home obviously and i think there are more suitable people than me! :-(
I wouldve loved it, and i would have researched and asked questions on here etc but im sure there are more suitable people for it.
Whatever Joe decides, it will be the best for the lovely tortoise..
And im sure he will bear me in mind if he gets another re-homer.

hi laura
what about all these leopards in the heathrow seizure? Maybe contact the tortoise trust about them ? :)
Or ask someone on here, im a member but iv no idea how to rehome one :(

alotoffluff
14-04-2009, 06:51 PM
yes thanks Linds, someone pm.d me about this earlier. Im not sure if im a member or not, but as you are, if you get offered one, send it my way! LOL

Evie
14-04-2009, 07:02 PM
It would be worth looking into Laura - you need to be a member for starters and then they do ask that you do their course - I dont know how set in stone this is - I keep meaning to take the course ( not for rehoming my 4 leopards keep me busy) but it is really good apparently.

lindso3000
14-04-2009, 07:11 PM
The course is great, im on lesson 5!
Then you join their yahoo group
Ive enquired but im never sure if im emailing the right person lol :)
will be sure to let you know though!
Laraine on here has some from there, in the recent threads ... :)

katepalmer
10-10-2009, 12:58 PM
is this tort still after a home !!!! i would be happy to have hear i have the amble room and knowledge x i have 2 leopards at the mo and i am looking for 3RD X

Laraine
10-10-2009, 03:52 PM
The course is great, im on lesson 5!
Then you join their yahoo group
Ive enquired but im never sure if im emailing the right person lol :)
will be sure to let you know though!
Laraine on here has some from there, in the recent threads ... :)

Yes we have 17 little foster babies, all Leopards from the TT until new mummies and daddies with forever homes are found for them. :D

katepalmer
10-10-2009, 05:04 PM
hi if this tortoise is still in need of a good home i can give it one, i have the right size housing and garden etc, done the tortoise trust course and i have two leopards allready x x

Evie
10-10-2009, 08:47 PM
hi if this tortoise is still in need of a good home i can give it one, i have the right size housing and garden etc, done the tortoise trust course and i have two leopards allready x x

Have you contacted Tamie at the TT - I am not sure how you go about rehoming for them but I am sure she will be able to advise you.