PDA

View Full Version : yay another good hybernation

madness1
24-02-2009, 11:09 AM
hi all i have had another good outside hybernation with my terripins they know showing signs of waking up, will post pics when they are up

kimmerz
24-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Thats great congrats looking forward for pics.

Bindi
24-02-2009, 06:43 PM
That's brilliant! It must be lovely to see them emerging, not to mention a relief! How old are your sliders?

madness1
27-02-2009, 08:41 AM
they are coming up for 7 years old now. they our top lil crits ive got two nice baby rats ready for when they wake up this is the only time they eat meat well only time i give them meat anyway just to help with fat reserves, got there sand pit ready for them again this year so hopefully i might get eggs

Bindi
27-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Have you any pics of their outdoor set up?:grin:

romski
04-03-2009, 11:47 PM
My YBS popped his head out on Monday 2nd for a brief moment. Now it snowed today so it will be a while before I see em again.

Ive got a thing about outdoor ponds. Not many of us are doing it.
Forgive me for being pushy on data.

My water temp at bottom was 7.2c and 8.5c at 6 inches.

What size is your pond and how deep.
I would also guess you have masses of pond weed. Do you have fish?
What food do you give during the summer?
What aspect is your pond ie How much sun does it get.

Please post some pictures.

A picture of one my cooters.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj28/romski50/IMGP0611.jpg

Roll on the summer.

Cheers
Rom

Lolly8
04-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Sorry to jump on this thread as I know nothing about turtles but I just wanted to say :Stunning turtle!:smile::smile:

linda
05-03-2009, 01:30 AM
hi all i have had another good outside hybernation with my terripins they know showing signs of waking up, will post pics when they are up

[quote=romski;263105]My YBS popped his head out on Monday 2nd for a brief moment. Now it snowed today so it will be a while before I see em again.

Ive got a thing about outdoor ponds. Not many of us are doing it.
Forgive me for being pushy on data.

My water temp at bottom was 7.2c and 8.5c at 6 inches.

What size is your pond and how deep.
I would also guess you have masses of pond weed. Do you have fish?
What food do you give during the summer?
What aspect is your pond ie How much sun does it get.

Please post some pictures.

im so pleased this thread has come about :-D
i know so little about turtles
please keep the pics and advise coming :-D:-D

linda
05-03-2009, 01:32 AM
My YBS popped his head out on Monday 2nd for a brief moment. Now it snowed today so it will be a while before I see em again.

A picture of one my cooters.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj28/romski50/IMGP0611.jpg

a stunning turtle :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:........

Cheers
Rom

thank you for sharing this picture :mrgreen:

Sylvia1
05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I agree with Linda - that is a stunning picture :grin:

romski
06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the comments, but is there any data you could add to how your pond conditions are?

Tappers
09-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Good on you for keeping these temperate animals in more natural conditions. It can be a bit controversial and I've taken some flack for overwintering my map turtles but as far as I can see, the only downside is that they come out of their winter rest with a massive sexual appetite!

romski
14-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Good on you for keeping these temperate animals in more natural conditions. It can be a bit controversial and I've taken some flack for overwintering my map turtles but as far as I can see, the only downside is that they come out of their winter rest with a massive sexual appetite!

I hope you are not feeding little blue pills.

Mine are the same.

Rom

romski
15-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Mine are up mostly

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj28/romski50/outandabout.jpg

Two of the cooters, two of the slider hybrids, male RES and girl painted. Few more to go yet, but its looking so much better than last year. Two weeks earlier than last year.

Water at 12 ish and in the shelter it got to 20+ good enough for sunbathing.
Should be no stopping them this week. 8.8 at the bottom of the pond.

Rom

anna m
16-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Nice looking turtles

romski
18-03-2009, 10:42 PM
My painted are up as it were, mating was seen with water at 14.3. Whatever thay say about putting them outside when its 20 seems so far from what actually happens.

Red eared are still asleep hope they are ok. At the bottom, the water is still 9 so they could be in the dirt still not knowing about Mr.Sunshine being here.

Rom