PDA

View Full Version : RES Skin questions

juju
12-10-2008, 11:29 PM
For all the experienced RES keepers, can you tell me if this is normal or of there is something wrong. Both my RES have what looks like cobwebby type stuff on their skin and legs which I see when they are swimming...they are both fit and well and no other problems, the water ir clean and treated.. advice please.

Geomyda
13-10-2008, 08:20 AM
For all the experienced RES keepers, can you tell me if this is normal or of there is something wrong. Both my RES have what looks like cobwebby type stuff on their skin and legs which I see when they are swimming...they are both fit and well and no other problems, the water ir clean and treated.. advice please.

In growing turtles, it is normal for skin to slough off. However, if this condition, is evident (Cobwebby residue), then it is not being sloughed off correctly.
Do the animals have a proper ability to bask? That is to say, can they get right out of the Water to dry off as they bask under a heat lamp?

juju
13-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your reply. Yes they do have somewhere to bask, they have rocks etc that they come out on and to sit under their UV lamp. One is also shedding thin slices off her scutes at the moment.

Geomyda
14-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks for your reply. Yes they do have somewhere to bask, they have rocks etc that they come out on and to sit under their UV lamp. One is also shedding thin slices off her scutes at the moment.
This too is quite normal, if the animals are growing fast, this will happen several times per year.
Beware, that the sloughed shields can and do block in the filter pipes and filters. Therefore try to clean them out as and when you see them, as they can be a curse inside a filter pipe, or worse, an impeller.