PDA

View Full Version : Problems getting in....

lilacgeorge
01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi, I seem to be having loads of probs getting into SW! It comes up 'page not found'it has always done this occassionally but seems to do it most of the time since the forum changed! :shock: I can't seem to delete cookies without deleting my passwords as well which would cause me major probs so I would rather not have to do this (I did do it a month or two ago and to be honest its not made a lot of difference) I have vista if that helps......:?::?::?:

Helen M
01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I have this problem too a lot. I sometimes can't get on for days at a time. I try deleting cookies but it doesn't always work. I also have vista.
Helen

TortMad
01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
I also have been having trouble as well, some times for days on end. It only happens on this site, I have no problems on any others:-(

This is why I haven't been around much, cos I can't get on:-(

Oh forgot to add I don't have Vista. I use Safari on my Mac

Lowe
08-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Strange - no issues here and I use a variety of computer/operating systems.

The site is based in the US - so it's possible that your ISP is having problems with their international links, hence why the site appears to be down.

Dunno really - just clutching at straws there.

lilacgeorge
08-09-2008, 05:12 PM
This is the first time since my last post I've been able to get on!!!! :-(

Ah well, I just hope that when I need good advice I can get logged on..

Joanne2407
08-09-2008, 09:51 PM
This happened to me a lot on the old site but not so much on this one. I thought it was just me as no one else had ever mentioned it. I was blaming Talk Talk lol. I have Vista too so this could be the problem. The Talk Talk helpline people were baffled at it lol. They couldn't work out what the problem was.

Joanne xx

angels1531
08-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I have Vista and have had no issues :)

Mel
08-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I have no problems on Vista but can't seem to post on XP?

lilacgeorge
09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Get me!!! I got in again today!!!!!!!

chatty123
12-09-2008, 08:19 PM
i'm on windows xp and i still keep getting page not found . i usually have to try about 3 times continuously before i get in. but i can open any other page straight away

kev71
12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
i to have the same problem, sometimes not being able to get on sw, all i get is internet explorer can not display the website! im on windows xp,

linda
12-09-2008, 09:32 PM
i use windows xp and internet explorer and have no problems getting in to sw

its quite a strange problem

gwizz
31-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I also get this problem from time to time - I use Vista and Firefox most of the time however when I do have problems it also occurs in IE. I think its just a connectivity issue with the domain at certain times of the day. :s

swad1000
31-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I still get this problem, but must admit over the last few weeks it seems better than it has been.

I usually find clicking refresh a few times and it eventually lets me in.

TortMad
31-10-2008, 07:39 PM
I have been fine for weeks, but couldn't get on at all yesterday :(

Hilary
17-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Dont know if anyone found a reason for this, but I have been finding it happening quite a lot since Christmas (particularly this morning). It doesnt matter what OS I use (XP on one machine & Vista on others), but when it loses the site & I Google it, I can usually see the cached image from the day before, but not the active page.
Very annoying - think it must be the site service provider, or one of the links along the way, cos other sites open ok.

Alan1
17-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I've never had a problem but I did have that same problem on a tropical fish forum at one time. If I couldn't get on with Internet Explorer I had to try Firefox or Opera and it usually worked with them. I eventually found out it was something to do with that firewall that I can't remember the name of and no longer have. If anyone was to mention the name of it I would probably remember

anna m
17-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Don't you just love computers and the internet?

Kirkie
03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Arrrgh, this is exactly what has happened to me over the last week when using 3 mobile broadband on a Vista laptop from home using IE, Firefox, anything.. I've tried everything. Cookies, cache, temp files. I'm in the IT trade so I tried pinging the site, nslookup and tracert to the site address and it fails every time as if the the 3 DNS can't find the SW DNS or server. (Technical rant over). Its driving me mad and I only get to view the site when I'm at work:roll:

Bindi
03-06-2009, 09:22 PM
I've had a lot more problems getting in since I changed my computer. I just keep trying different links and I get there in the end. I'm now on Vista :???:

Alan1
03-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I've never had a problem but I did have that same problem on a tropical fish forum at one time. If I couldn't get on with Internet Explorer I had to try Firefox or Opera and it usually worked with them. I eventually found out it was something to do with that firewall that I can't remember the name of and no longer have. If anyone was to mention the name of it I would probably remember

I remember it now.. Zone Alarm.. nothing but problems on some forums with some browsers

Kirkie
04-06-2009, 05:14 PM
It ain't Vista, not in my case anyway. I tried my 3 USB modem on my work (XP) laptop at home last night, same thing. I'll check the Zone Alarm thing out tonight. Cheers.

Jazzotang
05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
:-(Me too, im having real problems this week has been the worst this is only the second time i have managed to get on. Im running vista and internet explorer 8this does seem to be the only site that im having a problem with and strangly i had the same problem when i tried to get on using my friends mac:sad:.

linda
05-06-2009, 08:37 PM
i cant get on to sw via internet explorer

so ive been using mozilla firefox with no problems

Lolly8
07-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Vista (SP2),IE8 and no problems here:D.

Kirkie
07-06-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm in!!! first time all week :roll:

loperwood
07-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I have the same problem using XP. Its only this site thats playing up.

chunkymunky
08-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm having problems a lot of the time getting on too! :-(:-(

linda
08-06-2009, 01:11 AM
andy is our man behind the forum

hopefully he can give some advice

ive googled vBulletin® Version 3.7.4

our host

but so far ive not been able to find any help

for peoples problems

Kirkie
08-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Don't know if this helps but when the site is available and you ping www.shelledwarriors.co.uk (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk) it returns an IP address 65.98.57.26. When the site is unavailable it does not return an address but times out saying the address cannot be reached.

The error that Internet explorer returns is that the DNS server cannot be found or is unavailable. It's only SW that I get this with, both the home page and the forum. The SW shop is ok.

Kirkie
12-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Well I'm leaving work now which means no SW until Monday. Have a lovely weekend all :grin:

Zen
12-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I have the same problem, i'm using XP, sometimes it lets me in other times not, using Zone alarm also. Drives me nuts :-x

justmeandmytortoise
12-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Count me in too! Mine keeps coming up with 'site not found', I keep trying and eventually get in.

Wendy

Kirkie
12-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Well its working today! I hate computers.

Kirkie
14-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Not saying this is the answer cause apparently this is happeneing everywhere and Windows, Google and ISP providers wont own up who's fault it is, but I've just done a Windows update and installed Vista service pack 2 and got straight in.

Alan1
14-06-2009, 07:04 PM
This is weird because I've not had any problems at all :-?

Lowe
16-06-2009, 07:53 AM
I've suffered the last few days. It seems our esteemed hosts have had a few issues. It'll be sorted, thank you for your patience. :)

Alan1
16-06-2009, 07:55 AM
I can't understand how I've had no problems though :???:

Kirkie
16-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I was having problems again last night. This seems to be an ever growing problem for web users (not related to SW, its happening to random sites all over the place).

I've tried every fix in the attached link, it still wont let me into SW more often than not

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/thread/2eb96418-e944-4ee9-a4f3-ff28980c36a2/

Res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm is the error that appears briefly in the corner of IE before the page bombs out.

Alan1
16-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Surely it must be firewall related when it only affects some people and not others?

Kirkie
16-06-2009, 10:05 AM
From what I can fathom it seems to be a problem that started when Microsoft released a certain update for Internet Explorer so it might depend on yor version of IE and whether you installed the update. Microsoft are staying quiet about it all at the moment. It's such a frustrating problem.

justmeandmytortoise
16-06-2009, 10:12 PM
I have had terrible problems getting SW today, the worst ever for me. So bad I gave up for a few hours.

Alan1
16-06-2009, 10:37 PM
From what I can fathom it seems to be a problem that started when Microsoft released a certain update for Internet Explorer so it might depend on yor version of IE and whether you installed the update. Microsoft are staying quiet about it all at the moment. It's such a frustrating problem.

IE 8? I tried IE 8 and it was causing so many problems that I uninstalled it and went back to IE7 after a couple of days. I am still using IE7 and have no problem getting in here. I also have Opera, Firefox and Safari and have tried them all from time to time with no problem.

Also, I am logged in using the 'remember me' option and I hardly ever log out, I usually just leave it, don't know if that makes a difference or not

Kirkie
17-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I might try rolling back to IE 7 but apparently there are things in Windows to prevent you going back to IE 6 which appears to work fine. It is bizarre, I can connect to SW at 1-2 in the morning, no problem but that does leave me a bit tired the next day :). It's also fine when I'm at work.

Alan1
17-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I wondered what would happen when I uninstalled IE8, whether I would have to re-install IE7 but when I did it, it automatically returned to IE7.

Is it only those using IE that are having the problem though?

Jazzotang
18-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi everyone, im still having lots of problems getting on to SW. I am not sure that it is just an ie8 problem as i have tried to get on using my friends mac and i still couldnt get on. Also i had started having problems getting on even before i upgraded to ie8, i have had a computer literate friend check my firewalls, security ect and he can find nothing wrong. As i am only having problems with this site he seems to think that it is a server problem. I dont know, but i am now lucky if i can get on once a week!

Alan1
18-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi everyone, im still having lots of problems getting on to SW. I am not sure that it is just an ie8 problem as i have tried to get on using my friends mac and i still couldnt get on. Also i had started having problems getting on even before i upgraded to ie8, i have had a computer literate friend check my firewalls, security ect and he can find nothing wrong. As i am only having problems with this site he seems to think that it is a server problem. I dont know, but i am now lucky if i can get on once a week!

Do you log out when you go off here or stay logged in? I just can't understand why I have no problem at all unless it's because I stay logged in while those who don't stay logged in have the problems :???:

Kirkie
18-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Lowe did post on this thread that the company hosting the site were having a few problems. It does seemed to only be the SW site affected but yet again, at work today, its fine.

I've had no problems going to other sites whilst experiencing the connection issue to SW. I tried rolling back IE and removed all my recent windows updates from my home laptop last night, still the same.

Wish I was getting as far as the staying logged in bit but I can't even get to the site to log in!

Jazzotang
18-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi Alan i allways stayed logged on as im am useless at remembering passwords ect, its so strange as it just seems to be such a unpredictable problem hopefully the hosts will sort it out soon!

Kirkie
18-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Jazz, out of interest who's your internet service provider?

Jazzotang
18-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Kirkie its one of those 3 mobile dongle thingys if thats any help and when i tried round my friends her provider is sky. I must admit did blame 3 at one point as it can be a bit tempremental!

Kirkie
18-06-2009, 02:04 PM
LOL. Mine's a 3 mobile dongly thing too. I blame it for most things but I thought as every other site in the world is availble it couldn't possibly be them this time, maybe it is. As usual.:roll:

Alan1
18-06-2009, 03:03 PM
If it was the hosts then surely everybody would be affected not just some people :???:

I'm with Tiscali and am able to get in no problem so, is anyone else with Tiscali having these problems?

If everyone who was having problems could post who their ISP is and what they are using.. Windows NT, XP, 2000, Vista, Linux or whatever (if at any point they can manage to get on of course :roll:) then maybe we could spot something.

I'm not sure if ISP's share each other's equipment or not (Tiscali is now owned by Talk Talk and it has been noticeably slower at nights since) so it could appear to be a problem with more than one ISP

Lolly8
18-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I have no problems to getting in but SW has been really slow from Tuesday.REALLY slow.And it's only this site.All others are just perfect.Anyway I'm on Vista Service Pack 2,IE8.Service provider Virgin Media.Firefall-Windows OneCare.
I've tried yesterday SW from my friends computer and it was as slow as in my computer.She's on XP,IE7,service provider BT,don't know firefall thingy on hers.
So everything is different but the problem is the same....:):???:

Kirkie
18-06-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm using 3 mobile Broadband with Windows Vista SP2 and I've tried internet explorer 7 & 8 and firefox. All other sites are ok except SW. Returns a DNS error which I've gone into earlier in the thread and won't bore you with again. :???:

Alan1
18-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Lolly I've noticed it has been very very slow at nights too, maybe it's slow for some and impossible for others.

So anyway, I'm on Tiscali/Windows XP SP3/IE7 though I can get on but it's really slow :neutral:

Kirkie
18-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm at home. I'm in. Who fixed it? :lol:

Lolly8
19-06-2009, 01:27 AM
It looks back to normal again at the moment.It's fast as ever!:D:D:D

Alan1
19-06-2009, 08:29 AM
It was slow earlier on in the evening though :neutral:

I had a windows update and it turned out to be IE8 so decided to give it another go since the previous one was the Beta version but there is still a problem when viewing pictures, it makes pictures look watery when scrolling and makes scrolling really slow :(

USELESS!!!

I have to to uninstall IE8 for a second time, it is just downright crap!!! I bet it will appear again as an update.

This site is still running slow for me BTW

Lolly8
19-06-2009, 06:20 PM
It was slow earlier on in the evening though :neutral:

I had a windows update and it turned out to be IE8 so decided to give it another go since the previous one was the Beta version but there is still a problem when viewing pictures, it makes pictures look watery when scrolling and makes scrolling really slow :(

USELESS!!!

I have to to uninstall IE8 for a second time, it is just downright crap!!! I bet it will appear again as an update.

This site is still running slow for me BTW

Yup,it was really slow yesterday evening.It was good at 1.25 a.m.BUT NOW IT IS EXTREMELY SLOW AGAIN so I can't basically use this site at the moment.:xComing back again at night time,maybe it's better then...:-)

Kirkie
20-06-2009, 04:57 PM
AAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrgh. Not been able to get on at all yesterday(including about 1AM) or this morning, now its working. This is doing my head in. :-?

justmeandmytortoise
20-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I wonder why it is only SW we all keep having problems with? I had to try three times today before I got in. I just keep clicking on the web address until I get in. Frustrating but well worth it when I am here.

Alan1
20-06-2009, 11:07 PM
As usual I've had no problems getting on but I've had internet explorer 'encounter a problem and have to close' three times in the last ten minutes when trying to open a post :???:

Kirkie
20-06-2009, 11:20 PM
AAAAAArgg......Oh it's working!:-D

Lolly8
21-06-2009, 12:14 AM
It was ok today afternoon.But now....soooo slow again.Doesn't want to open pages at all.And it's only this site I have problem with.:-(:-(

Alan1
21-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Last night I had to quit using Internet Explorer as it was crashing almost every time I tried to open a post. I changed to Opera and it was okay. Back with IE this morning and it's fine again :?

Kirkie
24-06-2009, 09:59 AM
In a last ditch attempt, I'm jacking in the 3 mobile broadband today and switching to T Mobile. My internet access in general has gone to pot with the useless 3.

Kirkie
24-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Well its goodbye 3, hello T mobile.:razz:

Bindi
24-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Well its goodbye 3, hello T mobile.:razz:
do do do do ( the theme to the advert of T Mobile in case you hadn't realised) must get out more

Kirkie
24-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Well I didn't know that, but then I don't watch telly anymore, I spend all my spare time trying to get this laptop working. And I've just found out that T Mobile mobile broadband share their mobile broadband connection with....3 mobile. It's quite flaky. It could well be going back to the shop tomorrow.:cry:

Jazzotang
27-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Yahoo first time i have managed to get on for over a week, has any one got any idea whats causing the problems yet?

Kirkie
27-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Nope.My T Mobile mobile broadband went back to the shop, I'm back on 3 and it's working ok today :???:

Alan1
27-06-2009, 12:38 PM
If something isn't sorted soon, less persistent people will just stop coming back here

Lolly8
27-06-2009, 11:43 PM
It's working fine today.:-)Can't say this about yesterday and day before...slow,slow or didn't work at all.What is it?One day it's ok and then next day-impossible.

Lowe
28-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Guys the site is based in New Jersey. As such if the transatlantic lines are saturated with traffic (say someone famous in America died or something ;) ) or if there's issues with those lines (not all that long ago contractors actually cut through a series of these by accident :lol: ) then I'm afraid we suffer.

Alan1
28-06-2009, 10:27 AM
The thing is, I have never had a problem at all yet others can only get on once a week if they are lucky and apparently it's been like that for weeks and weeks

Jazzotang
05-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Yahoo have finaly managed to get on:mrgreen:! Sadly though its the first time in nearly two weeks:cry:. If anyone does find a cure please let me know as i have completly run out of ideas and i am missing the site, i fell cut off from the torty world!

Kirkie
10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Jazz,

It's still horrendous for me too. Think 3 mobile are involved somehow but I find the rest of the interweb ok at the times I can't get onto SW. There must be an issue with some ISP's (In theis case 3 mobile) DNS recognising the DNS of the server/service hosting Shelled Warriors. The "cannot find site www.shelledwarriors.co.uk" message is instantanious so it's not a performance thing it's a site recognition thing. I'm going to get onto 3 mobile this weekend.

Lowe
30-07-2009, 10:42 AM
See the announcement peeps. :)

Alan1
30-07-2009, 10:51 AM
That's good news

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=&a=7

anna m
30-07-2009, 06:16 PM
If the shelled warriors site goes down this week end can we still do the quiz?

Kirkie
30-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I finally get in and you shut down for the weekend! Good news tho.

linda
30-07-2009, 09:53 PM
If the shelled warriors site goes down this week end can we still do the quiz?

the quiz will be posted after we are back up running :razz::razz:

we can have it on monday evening
answers in by tuesday

then the winner can host a quix the following sunday

Jazzotang
30-07-2009, 11:38 PM
YAHOO, The funny thing is that it has let me in for the last couple of days. Fingers crossed this should hopefully fix the problem.