PDA

View Full Version : Turtles

tammygirl24
29-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I was looking at some yesterday, very small and very cute.

You got a set up and 2 turtles.

I asked how big they grow and was told upto 12", so you need a 4' tank.

Surely a 4' tank is only 12" wide?

Pussygalore
30-06-2008, 07:40 AM
If your thinking of getting any terrapins/turtles then you will need to have a pond within a couple of years, they grow very quickly and do best outside in the summer months when they get old enough and providing the pond is deep enough they can stay out all year round, plus there are so many needing homes simply because they have grown so much that rehoming a larger one is a much better idea than buying a hatchling, the hatchlings you see in the shop will need a tank,uv and basking light for the first couple of years, a very good site to have a look at plus rehome from is The Terrapin Tank, I was reccomended it and have recently rehomed a lovely female yellow bellied slider and they brought her all the way down from Tamworth to London for me to collect, its a very good site and well worth a look.

wildlifewarrior
30-06-2008, 11:29 AM
to answer the tank size, you can get tanks(aquariums) in varius sizes now. i have a 4 ft tank for my dwarf hamster (with wire mess for the roof as they squeeze throw the bars) and thats 2ft wide (24 inches).

u can even get half foot high tanks now (6 inches) for newts and top swimming fish shuch as ones from the Betta family.

basically fish tanks don't always come in the standard dimensions anymore.

tammygirl24
30-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks, but I'm not planning to get any - I was just curious :D