thought people might find this useful :D

sexing different species courtesy of World Chelonian Trust

http://www.chelonia.org/sexdetermination.htm

Cpx
09-04-2007, 12:07 PM
ive seen that before, and its very good linda :D

Eddie
12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
the guide provided here is very useful, but i notice alot of the experts mentioning other factors other than obvious tail size (long/short) and plastron (concave / flat). such as the size and shape of the tail opening etc. which can be more helpful when confirming/guessing the sex of younger torts.

So i was wondering if those knowledgable ones would like to add their wisdom to this thread, and do these factors differ greatly among different species?

Dave

piglet
12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Well I'm certainly Know expert,but have kept tortoises for awhile :D

The vent opening (cloaca) can also be important when sexing smaller less mature tortoises.

Males generally show a long vent opening running the length of the tail

Females usually show a pursed vent opening

Again though sexing young animals isn't 100% but a tarined eye can give a good guess

D

Eddie
12-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks darren, i had noticed people mentioning vent openings and that certainly cleared that up for me :D and im my eyes you are an expert!

Dave

linda
10-11-2007, 04:58 PM
sexing different species courtesy of World Chelonian Trust

http://www.chelonia.org/sexdetermination.htm

stusads
04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
although no details of how to sex a marginated :(

notoriously hard to sex i hear though, awkward for anyone wanting to breed them i guess

Shellybaby
25-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Thank you for this info - I found out my little Rebecca is actually a male haha!!!! Hm hello Sidney, goodbye Rebecca la!la! la!!!!
x

alotoffluff
27-04-2009, 11:48 AM
well, according to the info given, my Fluffy could possible be female after all, although guesses were pointing towards Fluffy being male! Im confused now! :-(

suttysue
01-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Oh boy/girl!! I am so confused is Mildred a Marvin suppose only time will tell. Only had Mildred for a week, shes 1 yr old (would post picture but don't know how to). She was sold to me as a girl by a man who has bred torty's for a long while. Thanks for the info thou will maybe check Mildred in a few years.

suttysue
07-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Hello could you possibly check out my post in SEXING YOUNG HORSEFIELDS I am curious to know which sex I have of these tortys. I am unsure although i was sold Mildred as a girl. Never asked when I bought Martha.
I have down loaded pictures for you to look at.
many thanks

Colette
16-05-2011, 12:55 PM
might try to have a look and see if i can figure - but from memory i would guess both of mine are male!! oh nooooooooooooooooo means i would have to separate them as the get older!!

lol